Camera Recommendation (long driveway)

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have been lurking around for awhile. I believe this is my first post, but I was curious of what ya'll think and would recommend. My oldest is getting to the age where I would like them to get off the bus and come home on her own. However, I would like to have visibility of that long driveway. I have a few camera around the house, but none that reach out that far past the trees.

Originally, I was thinking of putting a camera on the house and zoom in that way, but I don't think the trees will work as it is pretty thick. Then I was thinking I could run an underground cat6 through the trees and mount a camera facing up the driveway. I know I would have to have some zoom ability due to the distance. This area is very dark (country) at night, but more concerned about daytime for when they get off the bus.

I have attached a photo with linear ft. What do you all think?

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see two lengths at about 120 deg bend between them, one aprox 200 ft long and the other aprox 400 ft long. Are you wanting to view both legs of the drive, which would obviously take at least two cameras? Are you mainly wanting a motion trigger when she comes and goes, or a clear image at some point on the path to ID the people clearly?

Kevin Penney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have been lurking around for awhile. I believe this is my first post, but I was curious of what ya'll think and would recommend. My oldest is getting to the age where I would like them to get off the bus and come home on her own. However, I would like to have visibility of that long driveway. I have a few camera around the house, but none that reach out that far past the trees.

Originally, I was thinking of putting a camera on the house and zoom in that way, but I don't think the trees will work as it is pretty thick. Then I was thinking I could run an underground cat6 through the trees and mount a camera facing up the driveway. I know I would have to have some zoom ability due to the distance. This area is very dark (country) at night, but more concerned about daytime for when they get off the bus.

I have attached a photo with linear ft. What do you all think?

Any help is appreciated.
I would install a telephone pole on the outside of the first curve leaving your house, trench a line and install a pair of underground cat six cables, along with 12 ga power line. The power line is for the camera power supply, and supplemental area lighting for lighting your driveway at night. The second cat six is for future installations if needed. I would install the Dahua SD59225U-HNI or better. It has the Starvis image sensor which is excellent in pitch black installations. It also has auto tracking, pretty powerful (25x) zoom, and onboard sd card storage to catch motion events while your nvr records everything else. It has a built in mic which is very sensitive. Not much good on windy days but otherwise it's great. Look at the included picture.. If you set auto track to about 5 min (or however long it usually takes to traverse your drive), it could follow her from the time she exits the bus, to when she gets to the door. I have installed several of these and they work great. If your local to central Texas, I have telephone poles, and digger derrick to install. I also have the trencher, and bucket trucks to do high installations. This location could view everything from drive entrance to your house..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I see two lengths at about 120 deg bend between them, one aprox 200 ft long and the other aprox 400 ft long. Are you wanting to view both legs of the drive, which would obviously take at least two cameras? Are you mainly wanting a motion trigger when she comes and goes, or a clear image at some point on the path to ID the people clearly?
I made the two line for the two options I was thinking. The first was to run the camera through the trees and mount camera there Or mount from the house. The problem with mounting from the house is the distance and the trees. It is pretty thick through there. Especially in the summer when the hardwoods leave. I can see up the driveway from the house, but they trees be hard for a camera with zoom unless I cleared an AA.

Reaction score
I would install a telephone pole on the outside of the first curve leaving your house, trench a line and install a pair of underground cat six cables, along with 12 ga power line. The power line is for the camera power supply, and supplemental area lighting for lighting your driveway at night. The second cat six is for future installations if needed. I would install the Dahua SD59225U-HNI or better. It has the Starvis image sensor which is excellent in pitch black installations. It also has auto tracking, pretty powerful (25x) zoom, and onboard sd card storage to catch motion events while your nvr records everything else. It has a built in mic which is very sensitive. Not much good on windy days but otherwise it's great. Look at the included picture.. If you set auto track to about 5 min (or however long it usually takes to traverse your drive), it could follow her from the time she exits the bus, to when she gets to the door. I have installed several of these and they work great. If your local to central Texas, I have telephone poles, and digger derrick to install. I also have the trencher, and bucket trucks to do high installations. This location could view everything from drive entrance to your house..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I didn't think about putting one there. That would be a good idea and get more coverage as people pull up to the house. There is a pole already on the right side of my property line right past the trees. You can see the shadow from the sun on the photo. I'm not sure if the power company would like that idea though. I'm not anywhere close to Texas, but I appreciate the thought.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
based on the maps photo and how open your yard is...I don't even think you would need a tall pole. I would even consider a small platform at the location suggested above. Or at the location you proposed by the trees and put something like the below there.

PTZ1A225U-IRA-N 2MP 25x Starlight

It just came out and is supposed to be about the same prices as the above SD59225U-HNI (which I own) but would make mounting on a 5-6' platform very easy. My point is I don't think you need to have it very high. You could put the SD59225U-HNI on a pole about 5-10' high at those location too.