Camera Recommendation...

lrp22

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am just starting on the home defence system, but I am quite lost.
I live in Brazil so the only site I can get cameras is aliexpress, the cheaper the better haha.

I will give you the two most crucial locations and hopefully i will be able to figure it out the rest.
I will use Blue Iris, already did the POE wiring of the entire house and camera points. The most crucial part is night time, i have basically no light at all.

Both Pole and house to the gate have around 30-40 M distance.
I am searching for a camera that can notify my phone and sound an alarm if it detects that someone walks or jumps inside.
The camera pointed towards the street would be nice to be able to identify the person and LPR.

Thank you so much for your help.

casacam.png

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For LPR IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E.

Do you want a camera at the pole, at the house or both? Are you looking to identify people at that distance, or just observe?

Rest of the folks will be here in a bit to help you out more.
Welcome to the site!

lrp22

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello @Timokreon I would like both, probably won't be the same camera specs...
The one on the pole would be good to identify, the house one observe and alert.

Thank you so much for the advice on LPR.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, you happened to show up here while @EMPIRETECANDY (Andy) is having a Thanksgiving sale.
The LPR can be found here on his site. LPR

For the other cameras. I personally like varifocals, such as the IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP found here 5442.
If you want a PTZ, for auto-tracking etc.. then he also sells those as well.

The other guys will show up and have a variety of answers for cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1669061568242.png

lrp22

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj Hello sir.

Ohh i thought it could be the same...Now i understand .
Mind me asking which overview camera would you recommend for a low light, 30-40 Meters distance ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a thread I put together that talks about the importance of focal length over MP, complete with the commonly recommended cameras based on distance. Realistically, you are looking at a PTZ at that distance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be using cameras that can see infrared light and also consider using auxiliary infrared lighting. You are working with pretty long distances for the built in infrared in a camera which can be problematic. Auxiliary infrared lighting will extend the vision range of the cameras significantly.

A couple of examples -

External IR
Blaster

Smaller IR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.