Camera Recommendations Please!

timascus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a ranch house, fairly square. I'd like cameras to cover all of the outside, 4-5 in total perhaps. I would be hanging them under the soffit I believe. I don't think I need 4K. Please weigh in if you have changed your mind on needing 4K. I'd like pan, tilt and zoom functionality. I'd like them to be wired as I hate wireless devices. I'll have to figure out the rest of the system as well, so if you'd like, weigh in on that. I'd like to do this very soon. Budget is flexible. Thanks

edit: if it's better to buy a full system, given my needs, recommend one :)

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You're probably going to hear some responses about using 2 Varifocal cameras at a corner of the house over a PTZ to keep costs realistic. I think the good Pan Tilt Zoom cameras with tons of Zoom, range from $450-$900 and even much higher. A nice Varifocal can be $140 - $240ish.
My first camera was a 2Mp pan tilt Zoom, from Jidetech on Amazon. It's doesn't do everything. It became clear I would need wider angle over view cams with a narrow angled, sharp, varifocal's to identify license plates or faces, or vehicle descriptions more accurately.
I'm learning from my mistakes, while trying to move forward in a smarter way.
I'm using these camera's based on what these guys have helped me with over the last year.
My Condo that I manage is much easier to manage as a result.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a ranch house, fairly square. I'd like cameras to cover all of the outside, 4-5 in total perhaps. I would be hanging them under the soffit I believe. I don't think I need 4K. Please weigh in if you have changed your mind on needing 4K. I'd like pan, tilt and zoom functionality. I'd like them to be wired as I hate wireless devices. I'll have to figure out the rest of the system as well, so if you'd like, weigh in on that. I'd like to do this very soon. Budget is flexible. Thanks

edit: if it's better to buy a full system, given my needs, recommend one :)
Welcome @timascus

Sounds like you're new to the topic, so before you jump all in - perhaps the best idea is to pick up one decent varifocal camera to play with and learn more.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

First thing to do, before buying anything, is to read the material in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, on a real computer. There is a ton of good information in there which will save you lots of time, wasted money, wasted effort and frustration. Even by doing that and asking questions here, we all seem to learn the hard way.

I have a ranch house, too. Basic coverage requires eight cameras. That way each camera watches the other one on each side of the house. That's basic security 101. I also have center mounted cameras on the long sides of the house looking directly out to provide more detail in areas where the end mounts are too far away. Then throw in a doorbell camera and maybe a camera to watch packages on the porch.

Bottom line is not to try to do too much with one camera. Murphy's Law says a PTZ will invariably be looking in the wrong place when you need it most.

Last edited:

timascus

n3wb
Reaction score
You're probably going to hear some responses about using 2 Varifocal cameras at a corner of the house over a PTZ to keep costs realistic. I think the good Pan Tilt Zoom cameras with tons of Zoom, range from $450-$900 and even much higher. A nice Varifocal can be $140 - $240ish.
My first camera was a 2Mp pan tilt Zoom, from Jidetech on Amazon. It's doesn't do everything. It became clear I would need wider angle over view cams with a narrow angled, sharp, varifocal's to identify license plates or faces, or vehicle descriptions more accurately.
I'm learning from my mistakes, while trying to move forward in a smarter way.
I'm using these camera's based on what these guys have helped me with over the last year.
My Condo that I manage is much easier to manage as a result.
Thank you for the insight. I hadn't looked at any of those cameras! I'd rather make fewer mistakes if possible. I'm glad I haven't bought anything yet! I'll upload a rudimentary drawing of my house and let you guys tell me where you think I should put cameras.

timascus

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

First thing to do, before buying anything, is to read the material in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, on a real computer. There is a ton of good information in there which will save you lots of time, wasted money, wasted effort and frustration. Even by doing that and asking questions here, we all seem to learn the hard way.

I have a ranch house, too. Basic coverage requires eight cameras. That way each camera watches the other one on each side of the house. That's basic security 101. I also have center mounted cameras on the long sides of the house looking directly out to provide more detail in areas where the end mounts are too far away. Then throw in a doorbell camera and maybe a camera to watch packages on the porch.

Bottom line is not to try to do too much with one camera. Murphy's Law says a PTZ will invariably be looking in the wrong place when you need it most.
OK. From your reply and another, PTZs are out. I'll continue reading the wiki, but it's difficult to understand something that I don't know a lot about. Actually, I'll just upload pics of my house. I can remove all identifiers.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh were not saying you can't have a little fun with a PTZ, but ultimately you want it pointed somewhere usefull when your away from the system.
You will be giddy with the performance of the 5442 varifocal. Looks like I missed it on my Amazon orders I posted above.
the optics on the varifocals are much better than a 2.8mm fixed lens camera that so many company's offer.
They show these awesome " wide angle" shots of 75% of your front yard, but when it comes to granular detail beyond 10 feet, they are lacking.
Here is the 5442 AS LED 2.8 mm wide angle, mounted over the 5241 z12e. One gets granular detail( plates), and the other triggers when any car/person/bike comes into the property.
I may eventually use a narrower view 5442 3.6 mm in place of the 2.8
kh.jpgkh1.jpg

Last edited: