Camera recommendations please

tman2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I've been all over the threads as best as I can, but can't seem to find the latest recommendations for Dahua cameras.

My situation,
I have a gate across middle of a driveway. I would like a 180deg camera on each side for a general view to protect the area of the gate close up (people will come to cut the lock), then 2x PTZ zoom camera to pickup faces and number plates within 50m-70m (160ft - 230 ft) or so on each side gate. So a narrow view of about 10deg? People pull up, do drugs, burn outs in cars etc. I'm tired of it.....

Needs to work day and night. I will have the best led spot lights I can afford to light up the area at night.

Finally, I would like to receive alerts for people or cars only. Does that mean I need SMD 3.0 + Wiz sense?

For NVR, I'm looking to use Network Optix NX Witness on an Ubuntu box. I find NX Witness an excellent product. Does SMD 3.0/ Wizsense work with NX witness?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 2x Zoom PTZ will not pick up plates at 230 feet. And a camera cannot pickup faces and plates. You have to set the camera up specifically to pick up plates.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. All the cameras proposed below are on the appropriate MP/sensor combo:
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE or 5831R-ZE- varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.

You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1642810698566.png

Most of us go with the 5241E-Z12E for this because it has the best focal length. If your distance from plate to camera is less than 60 feet, you could go with the 5442-Z4E and if within 30 feet you could go with a cheaper 2MP varifocal. And many of us do have two cameras side-by-side - one for overview and one for LPR.

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07RJQT9NB/ref=sr_1_3?imprToken=eNnu.Pmf5hsW5hcTVECAQg&linkCode=w61&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1642811134&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&slotNum=0&sr=1-3

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I've been all over the threads as best as I can, but can't seem to find the latest recommendations for Dahua cameras.

My situation,
I have a gate across middle of a driveway. I would like a 180deg camera on each side for a general view to protect the area of the gate close up (people will come to cut the lock), then 2x PTZ zoom camera to pickup faces and number plates within 50m-70m (160ft - 230 ft) or so on each side gate. So a narrow view of about 10deg? People pull up, do drugs, burn outs in cars etc. I'm tired of it.....

Needs to work day and night. I will have the best led spot lights I can afford to light up the area at night.

Finally, I would like to receive alerts for people or cars only. Does that mean I need SMD 3.0 + Wiz sense?

For NVR, I'm looking to use Network Optix NX Witness on an Ubuntu box. I find NX Witness an excellent product. Does SMD 3.0/ Wizsense work with NX witness?

Intrusion and Tripwire work. SMD is considered a motion event, so you would need to create a rule for the motion on the camera, dont use NX for Motion recording. Far too sensitive

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a planning tool that might be of some use. It allows you to enter your address, and if you choose specific cams & lenses it depicts the coverage of a variety of things: FOV, IR range, DORI scale, etc.

It is not 100% accurate in what it shows, but I found it very useful.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

My situation,

Welcome @tman2

Plan for many more cameras than just 2 for your requirements ..

Example:
Instead of a 180 degree camera, look for 2 90 degree cameras.

Reaction score
I highly recommend this line of Halco LED floods from 1000bulbs.com

They are switchable for color temperature, and come in several sizes. I have several of them in varying sizes, these are the small ones...

These are pro-grade floodlight fixtures that you will not find at big-box stores.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I highly recommend this line of Halco LED floods from 1000bulbs.com
Needed some 4000K 60 watt dimmable LED Edison style bulbs. The 1000 bulbs store have these for $5 a pair. Shipping to Chicago $17 or to Alaska $41 for 2 bulbs. Not my cup of tea!!

mattyp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, how does the boobie cam 5441F-AS-E2 show up to the software? As two separate IP addresses? (e..g 2 cameras) or is it processed as 2 images split in the middle under 1 IP? Picture?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It shows up as one IP address and then you have Camera 1 on the left side of the screen and Camera 2 on the right side of the screen.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Basically kind of like two separate streams from the same cam/IP. Depends on the software how it looks. In BI they will appear as two cams in their own windows. You setup with one cam as /cam/realmonitor?channel=1 and the other as /cam/realmonitor?channel=2. You still have substreams from each.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on board with not having too many pixels, but 2MP seems pretty low these days?
2MP is more than enough for LPR.

In fact, many commercial entities still use 720P analog just fine for LPR.

It is best to purchase the camera with the optical zoom for the area to be covered - especially at night that will blow away any higher MP that is digitally zoomed.

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

Here is a thread I created demonstrating this:

Here was a thread I made showing that 3rd party plate readers were able to read D1 resolution just fine.

tman2

n3wb
Reaction score
Intrusion and Tripwire work. SMD is considered a motion event, so you would need to create a rule for the motion on the camera, dont use NX for Motion recording. Far too sensitive
Sorry, not 100% clear on this.
In my current nxwitness setup with hikvision cameras, something as simple as a tree moving will create a motion event in the timeline. Very annoying.

Reviewing dahua SMD 3.0 material Smart Motion Detection
It says cameras with SMD can detect vehicles and humans.
So, will this work with Nxwitness? If so, how would I set this up?
I just want vehicles and people on the event history, not moving trees

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, not 100% clear on this.
In my current nxwitness setup with hikvision cameras, something as simple as a tree moving will create a motion event in the timeline. Very annoying.

Reviewing dahua SMD 3.0 material Smart Motion Detection
It says cameras with SMD can detect vehicles and humans.
So, will this work with Nxwitness? If so, how would I set this up?
I just want vehicles and people on the event history, not moving trees
Not sure about Nxwitness, but within the Dahua camera, most of us have better success with IVS rules than SMD.

As always, YMMV.

If Nxwitness can pull ONVIF triggers, then it should be possible.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres a 2mp 5241 in use for LPR with a 4MP over it for the overview cam. times are synced exactly.
Lpr2 (2).pngLPR2.pngLpr3.jpgLpr4.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the 5241E-Z12E still have focusing issues at full zoom? I read it's best to keep it around 80% zoomed for best results? That cuts the camera a bit short for me. Really need the full zoom or more like 90% at least. Thanks for any info.