Camera Recommendations

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am at the point where I am ready to purchase a cam. I already sourced a PC for Blue Iris according to Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris. I also already read the Wiki, Cliff Notes, this helpful post from @mat200 as well as other informative posts for beginners.

As suggested I want to get a varifocal turret IP cam for testing with a test rig. What I'm looking for is a decent varifocal turret overall cam, meaning something that has a decent balance between daytime and low light performance as my security concerns apply to both day & night.

Based upon this post from @Arjun it seems as though what I'm looking for is a varifocal Dahua 4MP starlight, again preferably a turret. I looked at the Dahua International site but I read multiple posts from users here talking about how there are errors in the spec sheets and Dahau has (at least in the past) labeled some cams are starlights that users here don't really think should be classified as starlights. So if anyone could offer me some options fitting my parameters that would help! Also since the post I linked is from over a year ago, I'm wondering if there are now possibly >4MP options with decent low light performance? Perhaps not much changes annually.

I'd also prefer to have some sort of audio support even if not built-in, but I understand there probably isn't a cam that will have everything little thing I want. I'm not married to Dahua either.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Starlight is simply a marketing term and in reality means nothing as far as actual, real, capabilities mean. I've seen cameras called "stralight" with 5-8MP on a 1/3" sensor which is basically blind in "starlight".

The 5442T-ZE is the goto camera for day/night performance. It has a built in microphone so you also get audio. Depending on the amount of light in your installation you may be able to maintain color 24/7 and still get good motion video. Keep in mind that motion video needs a shutter speed of at least 1/60, 1633ms, and preferably higher to get that.

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Do not be sold by some trademarked night color vision (Full Color, ColorVu, Starlight, etc.) that is a marketing ploy in a lot of ways lol. It is simply what a manufacturer wants to claim for low-light performance, but there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the spec numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.001 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.0 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

All cameras need light. Simple physics.

As @sebastiantombs points out, the 5442 series varifocal is your best bet at the moment.

Reaction score
Starlight is simply a marketing term and in reality means nothing as far as actual, real, capabilities mean. I've seen cameras called "stralight" with 5-8MP on a 1/3" sensor which is basically blind in "starlight".

The 5442T-ZE is the goto camera for day/night performance. It has a built in microphone so you also get audio. Depending on the amount of light in your installation you may be able to maintain color 24/7 and still get good motion video. Keep in mind that motion video needs a shutter speed of at least 1/60, 1633ms, and preferably higher to get that.

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret
Finished reading through all of the pages of the review you linked and read some other posts about it too. Looks like what I'm looking for.

Glad @wittaj agrees. Thanks a bunch for the info.