Camera restting?

bob

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Foscam 18919W had it for months no real problem. now changed to new computer with windows 8.1. And I use blue Iris. The problem I have now is every morning I check the cameras and the 18919W has reset it self to looking down center. the camera is located up on gable end of garage and when it resets it looks straight down to the driveway. is there a setting I am missing. Also when I look at the camera properties it shows that it has not lost signal or power and shows no timeouts. Is it the camera or software? Hope you can help Thanks Bob

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Foscams are notorious for reset issues. There should be an option to uncheck that will leave the camera in its last position before the reset. When it was working were you streaming the feed to blue iris? For the future there are much better options out there.

bob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, It was not streaming at the time, What camera's do you like?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, that is a loaded question...indoors outdoor? audio? what are you using the cam for?
In general, for home and small business use security use, best value for your money is hikvision and dahua. If you post your needs we can recommend a specific model.

bob

n3wb
Reaction score
I have around the house and garage because at one time I was getting robbed, since camera's nothing, knock on wood. They are all outside.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera you have is a ptz. Generally there is no need for ptz as you cannot monitor the area 24/7. The camera is wireless, is that something you need? Can you run Ethernet cable to the camera? The foscam is also VGA, you will see a huge improvement going to a 2 or 3 megapixel camera. Do you have a budget?

bob

n3wb
Reaction score
that camera is on a detached garage and no way for Ethernet cable so it needs to be Wi-Fi, I would like to keep it with in a couple hundred bucks but who knows...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, here are several options ....
First have you checked to make sure your have the latest foscam firmware? IF you are happy with the image, then that might be the cheapest route...

The hikvision DS-2CD2532-I(S)(W) http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=9446 is wifi. Note that to get audio and wifi you MUST order the SW version, meaning you need to specify audio and wireless. You will probably need to lower the resolution to 2mp and the bitrate a bit if you are going wifi, depending on your network. This camera also has the capability to record to an internal up to 64gb sd card. That way even if your wifi goes out, it records as long a the camera is getting power. The wifi version is not available from us resellers. You must order from aliexpress. CCTV China has been proven to be a reliable source http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-New-Hikvision-dome-camera-DS-2CD2532F-I-S-W-audio-Wifi-3MP-Mini-dome-Up/638300_1679331340.html
The camera is available with several lenses. 2.8 (widest view) 4mm(medium, standard) and 6mm and 12mm (narrowest view). Make sure you specify the one you want, probably 2.8 or 4mm. These cameras have so much resolution the 2.8 is really nice and you get lots of coverage. Also make sure to specify english firmware.
Also, while you may not be able to run cable to that location, it is very likely that a professional could. You might want to look into hiring someone just to run the cable. All you need to run is one ethernet cable as the hikvision is POE and can carry power and data over the same cable. You would be surprised at how well and neat these guys can run cable. They can bury it. Wifi is always a hassle. Particularly with HD cameras.
Finally have you considered using non wireless camera with a powerline adapter? Does the garage share a power panel with the home?