Camera Selection Advice

cosmarchy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice with regard to camera selection.

I need a camera which is able to make out the number plate of a vehicle at night (and in the day) through the glare of the head lights. What camera features do I require in order to be able to do this?

My first thought was a DS-2CD2642FWD-IS but I'm not sure whether it has the required features!!

I also wondered whether a DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS is any good as it is touted as being ANPR capable; but can it do it in the dark with vehicle headlights on? The other thing about this model is that you cannot get the camera to pick out a number plate AND record video at the same time - you need a NVR for this. Is this correct?

One potential issue I see with this is clearly making out the number plate at a distance. Unfortunately the only mounting option I have available to me is at the top of the house (4/5m up). But what is the range of the camera when it comes to clearly making out the number plate. The DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS presumably has a ROI which can enhance the number plate in order for the ANPR software to recognize it. Does the DS-2CD2642FWD-IS have a ROI?

I'm not particularly fussy if I don't get the ANPR (I just need to be able to see clearly number plates but not necessarily automatically), but I need to clearly identify (and video) a vehicle number plate so I don't want to buy either the DS-2CD2642FWD-IS if it is no good but I don't want to buy the DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS if I don't have to!!

Hopefully this will make sense to someone who can advise on experience.

Thanks

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use the Huisin Mini PTZ 10x as a dedicated LPR camera and it works great. Day or night. Price is under $200 USD. Also works with OpenALPR software.

cosmarchy

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the Huisin Mini PTZ 10x as a dedicated LPR camera and it works great. Day or night. Price is under $200 USD. Also works with OpenALPR software.
Had a quick look at the Huisun mini and the only real put off at the moment is that there doesn't appear to be any support from the manufacturers. I wanted a user manual but couldn't find one. Doesn't look as if there is anywhere to download the latest firmware as/when it is released :(
Other than that it looks really good for it's price.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Had a quick look at the Huisun mini and the only real put off at the moment is that there doesn't appear to be any support from the manufacturers. I wanted a user manual but couldn't find one. Doesn't look as if there is anywhere to download the latest firmware as/when it is released :(
Other than that it looks really good for it's price.
You can find all of the above here:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/58-Huisun

cosmarchy

n3wb
Reaction score
How close is the camera going to be to the vehicles?
It will be about 7-10m min and 30m max.

It won't be directly facing the vehicle but looking down on it from the side - not sure whether this will be an issue so long as I can get a clear view of the number plate????

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
12mm camera will be cutting it close. May need something higher 16mm+ to get a better view. More so depending on how fast the vehicle may be moving and depending if youd like to view them at night

I also have a huisun 10x and wouldnt recommend it due to manual focus not working properly from night to day transition.

cosmarchy

n3wb
Reaction score
Because it is the end of the cul-de-sac, the vehicles are not travelling very fast apart from the blind drivers who don't seem to realise they're about to come to an abrupt halt at the end so these vehicles should be decelerating at the time they pass the camera :sad2:.
I have to confess I'd prefer the DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS but very seriously considered the Huisun 10x mini. I was put off by some of the bad reports, like the manual focus issue amongst others and the lack of support which seems to amount to forums like these. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with forums, I actually think they're great as you learn so much more from peoples experiences, but I feel that if a company is to be creating such devices they should have proper support rather than relying on users.
Price is one thing in the Huisuns favour but you only get what you pay for. The problem with the DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS is that they're not too sharp on replying to their tech support either!!
I could still be persuaded either way, I just need to do some more research.