Camera selection for front door

Reaction score
I am looking for assistance on what camera for my front door location.
I've taken a quick pictures of it with the dimensions, i'm not sure what focal length would be best given the mounting options the yellow boxes I've put. I would like to be able to capture who is walk up and what is left if its a package delivery. You can't see from the picture but the left corner there is a light there so mouting there isn't an option
I'm planning on going with Hikvision camera's

IMG_20160915_194051.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, took a look at your post it looks perfect for it.
Forgive my ignorance would the auto tracking feature work on a Hikvision NVR or would it be best for a Dahua NVR given the camera feature sets?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what autotracking? the only thing this has is audio detection and that can trigger a preset w/out the help of an NVR.. but outside I turned it off as every loud truck/motorcycle/plane set it off.

dont mistake the voodoo of my home automation system for features of that camera; thats magic juice thats not for sale ;)

Reaction score
Not auto tracking auto scan i think is what i read on the data sheet, thinking it was some sort of auto tracking.

Haha i checked your videos out, very nice setup.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get snow rain all the way up to my front door, but the underside of the roof never gets wet.. I think you'll be just fine as Ive got much less protection than you do.. the turret can get wet, its the top thats the issue..

I think it'd work fine under most any awning, but the problem very few are horizontal and level like patio's

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no IVS, just Audio Anomaly.. IVS on a PTZ is not really that usefull.. whats the point of linecross/intrusion if the camera is not fixed and that is moving

Reaction score
I could be totally miss-understanding, what i would like to happen is for the camera do be able to trigger on motion and zoom in or out if needed based on someone walking towards the door. Then turn if they are standing on the porch.

Appreciate your help with this!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah its not going to do that on its own, and if it did it'd suck cause it'd chase clouds and squirrels and be looking at the wrong thing when a real person comes up.

video based auto-tracking sucks, forget about it.. I'd would want my camera to chase the bastards down and rough em up a little, but what I want is not reasonable outside Scifi, and its been done.. RoboCop