Camera settings not holding

castlemark

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI running a single Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD camera. It's using lots of CPU, so in trying to lower the usage I've tried, in the "My Camera 1" video tab to reduce the image format size. It's 2688 x 1520 and grayed out so next in the Max. rate box I've changed it from 20 fps to anything smaller down to 5 fps which does lower CPU usage . It usually will hold the setting through OK and then launching the camera window again, but a few minutes later I notice the CPU's back up and the fps at 20 again. Why does this setting change itself?

Is there another/better way to reduce this?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to log into the camera with your web browser and change the frame rate at the CAMERA level.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What q said... also you need to use direct to disk recording.. your CPU use will drop tremendously..

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember, whatever u max out the camera to when you access it directly is the max resolution/setting you can set it to in BI. So if u set it for 1080 direct thru the web browser, if you want to upgrade it down the road you can't do that thru BI, you need to log back in directly.

BI just uses the native camera settings based on what you set them to.

castlemark

n3wb
Reaction score
I did make the two changes and only the direct to disc did anything. The change to 10 fps in bower, still keeps changing back to 20fps BI. CPU use may be down to where I can live with it. I'm more interested in clear picture and identifiable faces and tag numbers than a smooth frame rate from this camera.

What is dual stream?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...The change to 10 fps in bower, still keeps changing back to 20fps BI...
Log back into the camera with your web browser and double check to make certain that the camera saved the 10FPS setting.

...I'm more interested in clear picture and identifiable faces and tag numbers than a smooth frame rate from this camera...
To a large extent your requirements are dependent on the camera lens size, the position of the camera and amount of light which is available. Blue Iris cannot cause an inadequate camera to produce an adequate image.

...What is dual stream?
The camera has the capability of producing two (2) separate video streams: the "Main Stream" and the "Sub Stream." The Sub Stream is usually of lessor quality; I only use main streams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did make the two changes and only the direct to disc did anything. The change to 10 fps in bower, still keeps changing back to 20fps BI. CPU use may be down to where I can live with it. I'm more interested in clear picture and identifiable faces and tag numbers than a smooth frame rate from this camera.

What is dual stream?
Stop making the change in blue iris..that setting does nothing, it auto adjusts....you need to log into your camera and change the frame rate there.

castlemark

n3wb
Reaction score
Log back into the camera with your web browser and double check to make certain that the camera saved the 10FPS setting.

To a large extent your requirements are dependent on the camera lens size, the position of the camera and amount of light which is available. Blue Iris cannot cause an inadequate camera to produce an adequate image.

Not trying to do that. 4MP and the 90 ft. IR range are more than adequate enough to capture the faces or tag numbers of the criminals dumping trash on, and breaking into my rent house and alley. I am comfortable with 10fps

The camera has the capability of producing two (2) separate video streams: the "Main Stream" and the "Sub Stream." The Sub Stream is usually of lessor quality; I only use main streams.
I've seen the 2 video streams callout in the specs, yet I've only seen one. How do you access the sub stream? What can it be used for?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When u access the camera via the web browser, go to the main screen where u adjust resolution, frame rate, etc. At the very top, you'll see a Main and Sub Stream option as part of a drop down. Click on sub stream and you'll see the settings change to a lower resolution, usually VGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk