Camera settings

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua T5442T-ZE running via blue IRIS

I have been browsing the camera settings via the Dahua cam Web URL and under camera\video I see a setting for bit rate. It is set to 4096. There are other options upto 8192. Do I need to change this to the higher number or does blue iris manage everything.

Many thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bi only records what is sent to it. Any changes to camera settings need to be performed in the cams interface, not in BI.
And as far as changing the bit rate, that's up to you. If you are happy with the picture it produces now, then you can leave it alone.
Setting it higher will use more storage space and put more load on the computer. So weight the options.
Be sure to study the BI help, that is included in BI.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks for that. I have until now even even look at the cameras settings. I just plugged it in and used BI interface ever since. Just wondered if I need/ should leave it all at factory defaults or if you experienced guys have some tips or recommended changes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take it off auto settings at night unless you like seeing Casper. Auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual priority and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more and gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting.

Now what you will notice that happens immediately is your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent), but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many thanks for that. I have until now even even look at the cameras settings. I just plugged it in and used BI interface ever since. Just wondered if I need/ should leave it all at factory defaults or if you experienced guys have some tips or recommended changes.
Leaving the settings at factory defaults, is almost never the best option, especially at night.
See this: Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys that's great. I'll have a play and report back. Really appreciate it