Camera snapshot interval FTP from behind the NVR

GregTR

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the setup:

I have a 7616 that is connected to my router and I have several cameras connected to the NVR. I'd like the cameras to upload snapshots at 5 minute intervals to a server outside of my local network.

So far I'm failing at it. What do I need to set up so the cameras can get to the outside world and the 7616 routes the data correctly?

Where do I set up a 5 minute interval timer for an FTP upload on a hikvision camera?

Thanks!

GregTR

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I found the interval snapshot mode but I still can't find a way to set up the routing to get past the NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
3 things needed:
First.
The cameras on the PoE ports will have an invalid default gateway set - if using 'Plug&Play' the GW will be set the same as the NVR LAN NIC.
This is not accessible to the cameras - the default GW needs to be on the same subnet as the camera itself.
On the assumption that the NVR PoE NIC IP address is at the usual default value of 192.168.254.1 you need to set the PoE-connected cameras default gateway to be that of the PoE NIC, ie 192.168.254.1

Second.
By default - the embedded Linux kernel will not have any IP forwarding (not to be confused with port forwarding) enabled by default, so no packets will flow between the LAN and PoE NICs in the NVR.
A simple way to implicitly enable IP forwarding is to activate the NVR 'virtual host' feature. Configuration | Network | Advanced | Other and tick the box.
There is another way to do this but it's a bit techy and involves directly manipulating the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward runtime value so we won't go there.

Third.
The default gateway on the LAN, usually your router, needs to know how to route packets to the NVR PoE-connected cameras.
By default - it will send them out to the internet.
The LAN gateway needs to have a static, private route defined along the lines of :
For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0 ) (ie the PoE ports network segment) route packets to the NVR LAN interface at IP address <NVR IP address>

BTW - lots of posts on the topic of getting PoE-connected cameras to be accessible / communicate from the LAN or beyond.

GregTR

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I had part 1 and 2 done already which allows me to connect from my LAN to the cameras residing behind the NVR subnet. However I can't do part 3 with my current POS U-Verse gateway so I'm kind of screwed at the moment. I have a nice ASUS router on order and as soon as I get it I'll DMZ everything behind it so I can have a much better access and control over my routing choices. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

glfp

n3wb
Reaction score
Same issue for me.
And I also does not have the opportunity to modify router's static routes.

I read (in other discussions) to connect the NVR with two net cables coming from "principal" subnet .... one in the LAN port and the other in one of the POE ports. Then change the camera IP to "manual mode" and set with an IP coming from principal subnet.
I have to try it, but I have a lot of fear to "lost" the camera after IP changes .... :sad:

There is someone who tried these settings ?

Thanks !