Camera suggestion to reach shed ~ 115' away, ~20' width of view

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would like to mount something under the eave of my roof to aim down at my shed and cover the doors and windows. I don't think I need a PTZ to move all around, just something fixed to aim at the shed.

I looked at this site, but my house is too new so it's not on the map yet:
https://ipvm.com/calculator

This site says with a 1/3" sensor, I should use about a 27mm lens.
http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/fov-calculator

Any suggestions on a camera? Any other questions I should be asking or answering?

Thank you.

I would most likely mount it below the lower eave in the corner, above that vent you see sticking out of my house between the sun room and house window.

Standing there, this would be what it looks like from the house (cropped pic). Would like to get a bit left of the overhead door to a bit beyond the right side window. Shed is a 12x20.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want to scare away people with the camera alone and have relatively good ir illumination I would suggest something like this Multi-language DS-2CD2T35-I5 replace DS-2CD2232-I5 3MP Bullet Camera with Bracket Full HD POE Power CCTV Camera
http://s.aliexpress.com/FFFvAnEF
(from AliExpress Android) that is obviously from China but anyway I meant more the model then the vendor. You can get it in 4 mp version as well at least if you want. But 3 is probably better at night time

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
aor this one seems popular as well http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cPBXTskg

again do not care about the price and vendor here, it is just to show the model. If you buy it local where you live you have to check the prices there. Thsi camera got slightly weaker IR. If you have normal lights on around your house at night that will increase the picture quality alot obviously or lights from the street etc etc.
if it´s pitch black you might need some extra external IR illuminator to help the camera a bit to get a good image. something like this ( comes in all shapes and form, this is just one I bought): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Lighting-Waterproof-50m-DC-12V-2A-illuminator-Fill-Assist-Night-Vision-infrared-8-LED-IR/32596110628.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.123.bzRYZP

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want to scare away people with the camera alone and have relatively good ir illumination I would suggest something like this Multi-language DS-2CD2T35-I5 replace DS-2CD2232-I5 3MP Bullet Camera with Bracket Full HD POE Power CCTV Camera
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c7E6kdlI
(from AliExpress Android) that is obviously from China but anyway I meant more the model then the vendor. You can get it in 4 mp version as well at least if you want. But 3 is probably better at night time

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk
I don't really want to just scare someone away, I'd just throw up a $20 dummy cam for that. I want to be able to have a chance at identifying them if they tried to/got in. With that said, this one linked is a 4mm camera, that's not going to do much for me is it I don't think?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
My shed at about 70+ feet away zoomed half way with v2. Works great at night too without any additional IR.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
is there power in the shed? if so, consider mounting a cam or two on the shed itself,
using powerline adapters (you'd have to test if they could work for you tho)

I do agree with Klasipca tho, that the huisun/imporx v2 10x mini-ptz would probably do well for this,
even if you just park it aimed at the shed. at that price, ~$150, you'd be hard pressed to match it in the 25mm+ lens range...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is there power in the shed? if so, consider mounting a cam or two on the shed itself,

I do agree with Klasipca tho, that the huisun/imporx v2 10x mini-ptz would probably do well for this,
even if you just park it aimed at the shed. at that price, ~$150, you'd be hard pressed to match it in the 25mm+ lens range...
@pozzello +1. Every shed could use power, and run multiple Cat5e cables while your at it, even if you think you only need 1 camera at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Unfortunately I don't have power out there yet, the shed was just dropped last week. It's on my list of things to get done down the line but not for a bit. I do want to get a cam or two in there though, as there will be a lot of stuff in it. I do want to look into adding solar for lighting at least in the interim. Don't know if that would work to power a WiFi cam and if the range would reach back to the house, I'd need to look into that.

@pozzello +1. Every shed could use power, and run multiple Cat5e cables while your at it, even if you think you only need 1 camera at this point in time.
Good plan. Can power and the cabling be in the same trench? Not conduit, just same trench? Typically when we install Cat5e/Cat6, we cross power at a 90* angle. Guess could run two trenches if necessary.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Good plan. Can power and the cabling be in the same trench? Not conduit, just same trench? Typically when we install Cat5e/Cat6, we cross power at a 90* angle. Guess could run two trenches if necessary.
I'd run two (2) separate gray PVC electrical conduits Dave; that stuff is cheap so separate conduits shouldn't hurt too much. One trench with separate conduit. It has been said that it's not if conduit will fill with water, but when...so be certain to use gel-filled solid copper Cat5e cable rated for direct ground contact/burial.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same trench, good, that's easier. Is there a recommended separation of distance between conduits you're aware of?

Have to look at the cams a little close, hadn't had a chance this week.