Camera suggestions for 1080p 60fps? Live streaming swimming

J2K66

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, this is a bit off from the normal discussion around here, but I haven't found a better place to ask in my searches.

We use security cameras for live streaming of swim meets. We use them because they're relatively inexpensive, and we can be flexible at different venues by using POE.

We currently use 2 Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 cameras and stream to youtube at 1080p 30fps. I'm trying to determine how much, if any, we would gain by going up to 60fps for smoother motion. The requirements would be to have a pretty wide FOV, as the current cameras are 96deg and we could actually use a bit wider (especially on a full pool shot). Also, the lighting in pools isn't always very good, so that could be an issue too. I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve image quality for our setup, without breaking the bank.

Above is an example of what we're doing.

We use OBS Studio to stream, via RTSP and gstreamer plugin for OBS.

If anyone has suggestions to help make it better, I'm all ears :)

ulflun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, this is a bit off from the normal discussion around here, but I haven't found a better place to ask in my searches.

We use security cameras for live streaming of swim meets. We use them because they're relatively inexpensive, and we can be flexible at different venues by using POE.

We currently use 2 Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 cameras and stream to youtube at 1080p 30fps. I'm trying to determine how much, if any, we would gain by going up to 60fps for smoother motion. The requirements would be to have a pretty wide FOV, as the current cameras are 96deg and we could actually use a bit wider (especially on a full pool shot). Also, the lighting in pools isn't always very good, so that could be an issue too. I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve image quality for our setup, without breaking the bank.

Above is an example of what we're doing.

We use OBS Studio to stream, via RTSP and gstreamer plugin for OBS.

If anyone has suggestions to help make it better, I'm all ears :)
Did you find any suitable cameras? I'm in the same position and need 60 fps in to OBS as well. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets LOL.

If your unique case requires that type of FPS, you will find surveillance cameras are not going to meet your needs and you need to get a camera capable of that - or spend some serious money.

We have had recently people come here after purchasing cameras in two instances where they were wanting 60FPS - one was a tennis club and another was a youth soccer club. In both cases they found that these types of cameras were not capable of what they were wanting to do. Sure the cameras could run faster FPS, but it still didn't provide them with the level of detail they were looking for. I recall the soccer club had a decent quality PTZ that is fine for a residential or retail/commercial installation, but to cover the action of the soccer field it wasn't capable of meeting their needs. And because of the extremely fast motion, it was creating a halo type effect around the action (which can be seen in certain lighting conditions). These cameras are good, but not good enough to catch the rotation of a ball for example.

Shutter speed is much more important than FPS for surveillance activities.

J2K66

n3wb
Reaction score
I never found anything better than what we have. It's suitable for the purpose, but would still like to find something better.

There's another club that uses GoPro's to do the same thing, and their video quality is better... but they have problems with overheating. These cameras need to be IP, wide angle, and be able to run for for a long time without overheating in a hot/humid pool area.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
any 5442 can run in 50fps pal / 60fps ntsc
Just need to lower resolution to 2mp ... the cpu is to slow to do both.

maybe ask someone to check his 4k 5849 , its maybe possible to run it in 2k (4mp) with 50/60fps.
according to my tests it is really responsive running at 50fps. on faster movement you will notice a difference from 25fps
as already mention shutter speed is also important.

remember: you need high bitrate if running in higher framerate.
also better turn everything off (substream, any detection and overlay)... it will reduce cpu load on your camera

also: consider buying varifocal to get superior sharpness

5442_pal.PNG

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem of the video above is what is told 100times in the cliffnotes.

you will always get worse image with wide angle lens. Its simple physics.

ulflun

n3wb
Reaction score
These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets LOL.

If your unique case requires that type of FPS, you will find surveillance cameras are not going to meet your needs and you need to get a camera capable of that - or spend some serious money.

We have had recently people come here after purchasing cameras in two instances where they were wanting 60FPS - one was a tennis club and another was a youth soccer club. In both cases they found that these types of cameras were not capable of what they were wanting to do. Sure the cameras could run faster FPS, but it still didn't provide them with the level of detail they were looking for. I recall the soccer club had a decent quality PTZ that is fine for a residential or retail/commercial installation, but to cover the action of the soccer field it wasn't capable of meeting their needs. And because of the extremely fast motion, it was creating a halo type effect around the action (which can be seen in certain lighting conditions). These cameras are good, but not good enough to catch the rotation of a ball for example.

Shutter speed is much more important than FPS for surveillance activities.
We're monitoring fire tests so the fps is noticeable, specially looking at "intense" fire flames in a live stream. Tested with a USB camera at 60 fps but we need PoE IP cameras, therefore my question. We've identified some Axis cameras capable of 60 fps but since the cameras sometimes melt during tests It would be nice to find more affordable cameras as well.

Last edited: