Camera suggestions please

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster and came across your forum recently. Read quite a few posts, but looking for something specific so figured I might as well just post :)

I want to get the Blue Iris software - seems nice. But having a difficult time finding the camera I want for the job. Basically - I want a wide angle, high-resolution camera with 2-way audio that works with this software (and isn't outrageously expensive). The application is this: I have a 25' by 60' basement area where the kids play while I am working. I want to be able to watch them and then also be able to talk to them (yes, yes, probably yell at them) :) The neighbor kids tend to start throwing my kids toys around from what my kids tell me (although I am skeptical). So - this will be a way to let me work while still monitoring them.

I have SmartThings equipment as well, so I have monitoring on Doors already to make sure they stay where they are supposed to be (instead of sneaking out through the garage entryway) :) Now it is camera time. I will eventually install more cameras outside for security - so would prefer to stay with the same brands... but isn't necessary I suppose since Blue Iris can support quite a bit.

Anyway - thanks in advance (and, no, depsite all the BI mentions... I am not a shill... lol)

Andy

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a Hik DS-2CD2432F-IW for my baby monitor and it has all the features you are requesting. Great camera for the price point!

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at that one! I think it is compatible with BI, assuming it uses
  • HIKVision RTSP?

What I couldn't tell from the details of the camera was what it's viewing width is? Is it wide angle?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yes. It's compatible with BI, but you don't really need it for just one cam. It also has 2.8mm wide angle lens but at 60' objects will be small at that range. Perhaps 4MP will be a better option.

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
Where is there a 4MP that would fit my needs? Yes, I know BI is overkill.... but I will have more cameras, so figured I should get used to it :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
For indoor Hikvision has new 4MP PT camera, its designed to be ceiling mounted.

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you send me a link to that? I cant' seem to find one that has audio :(

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
Gotcha. yeah, that was the one I was looking at with your suggestion. It seems to only have Mic and Speaker jacks instead of integrated. I'm really hoping for an all-in-one deal.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Then your only option with Hikvision will be 2432. I use 3 of those throughout my home for couple years now and talk back function isn't as good as I expected.

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
What about other options? DLink, Nest, other? I'm ok NOT doing all in one if I can get a microphone and speaker. I won't really be talking back and forth much... more just telling the kids to stop doing something.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Don't know about any others, I've been sticking with Hikvision primarily for past few years that's roughly when 2432 was released. Back then it was the best you could get, but I am pretty sure there should be some better options for two way ip cams today.

Covington

n3wb
Reaction score
ok. thanks. Hard to find good information on this out there. It's like informational overload and picking through a haystack.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Most you'll find here is people recommending Hikvision or Dahua. Both solid brands.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
We see a lot of these requests on these forums and there is never a "Solid" solution. Mainly because you are trying to accomplish a task that there isn't really a solid "economical" solution too. There are "okay" solutions, but not "solid".

IMO if you are concerned with quality video then assure that is accomplished with the camera you desire. If audio is the secondary goal, consider that via another means. Look at home intercom systems - both wired and wireless. Since you just need this to communicate a message and not be "recorded" then I would say there is no reason to try and make something combined that can be achieved at a higher quality when run independently.

I seem to have to make this statement often but I'll make it again - You can not have "high end" or "High quality" WITH "Economical". As you get "economical" you sacrifice "Quality". It is about finding a happy median that will work for the desired goal. To many times I see "I want xxx, xxx, xxx and it needs to also do xxx" no problem, the forum responds with solutions, then the poster says "But I don't want to spend a lot". :)

Good Luck finding a solution, IMO focus on the video, find a secondary solid audio transmission method

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at that one! I think it is compatible with BI, assuming it uses
  • HIKVision RTSP?

What I couldn't tell from the details of the camera was what it's viewing width is? Is it wide angle?
It can run on the hikvision 2cd or rtsp, same result..you can also do a find inspect and blue iris will use the onvif profile allowing you to trigger blue iris using the in camera motion detection/line cross/ or PIR.

The 2.8mm if run at 1080p will provide about 100 degrees horizontal fov...be mindful that alot of lower end manufactures use diagonal fov numbers to exagertate the viewing angle...so while the camera may only be 100 degrees horizontal fov, they will list it a 120 diagonal.