Camera to desktop computer via ethernet

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
I have some older Hikvision ip cams (DS-2CD2012, DS-2CD2032) that have not been used in years, and I'd like to set one up outdoors for local video viewing only,
via a direct ethernet connection to a local desktop pc that has no network or internet access. Is this possible ? The cameras functioned fine in LAN environment for local and remote viewing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes just connect the cameras to a POE switch and the PC to that switch and put all the cameras and PC on the same IP address range.

Most of us run a dual NIC system and that is exactly what we do - all cameras on one IP address range with no internet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
@Leebart , you may already know this, but if not.....to perhaps clarify, you won't need a router if you assign unique static IP's, all in the same subnet, to the cams and the PC.

How do you plan on viewing? VLC works very well and is free. You can open multiple instances, 1 for each camera. All you need to know is the cam's IP address and its RTSP URL. A shortcut on the desktop can launch each cam's URL in VLC.

If you don't know the RTSP URL and the cam is ONVIF compatible, ODM will reveal it.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was going to say to use VLC also. Works great

Format (change out the bolded with your info)
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/User:Password@192.168.1.100:554/Streaming/Channels/1 main stream"

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
I've always used VLC to view the cam videos , and I agree it works nicely. I couldn't get the the cam to PC to work with a POE switch, but it does work when I plug the ethernet cables into my old Cradlepoint router - disabled DHCP and created static ip addr.