Camera Tolerance to 12V Supply Fluctuations

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How tolerant are surveillance cameras of variation in the 12V supply? Is it likely that "automotive" ones are designed to be more tolerant of... say... a range of around 11V to 14V at the input?

Background:
I'm thinking about replacing the "automotive accessory grade" reversing camera on my caravan (travel trailer). It is currently an eyeball cam about the same size as a mini turret in the surveillance world. The video performance is OKish, although at night it is total rubbish with the mix of IR and the rear service lighting of the trailer. I received a runout specials email from a local Dahua re-branded and there's a few HDCVI cams for cheap... so was thinking I might try to improve night vision when reversing. My concern is the supply fluctuations from my car being too great.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone been successfully running surveillance cams off unfiltered vehicle 12V Supply?

Cheers, Steve

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Steve,

Have you thought of using a 12v power filter? You can find these on Amazon or ebay for under $10

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Steve,

Have you thought of using a 12v power filter? You can find these on Amazon or ebay for under $10
Yep sure... if spurious noise was an issue, I'd grab something to filter it or dig around my electronics boxes for something. However aside from using a DC-DC converter, the voltage is still going range around a bit.

Perhaps I shouldn't have closed with the term "unfiltered".

Many thanks, Steve

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually I just had a thought that HDCVI probably doesn't have image mirroring as an option. ie: they're not programmable like IP cams.

"As you were..."

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should be able to get something that will smooth out the voltage. You could probably whip something together yourself with a few capacitors.

Something like this

Cocar Car DC 12V 4A Voltage Stabilizer Surge Protector Power Supply Regulator for Auto Truck Vehicle Boat Solar System etc.(DC10-36V Input, DC12V Output) Cocar Car DC 12V 4A Voltage Stabilizer Surge Protector: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually I just had a thought that HDCVI probably doesn't have image mirroring as an option. ie: they're not programmable like IP cams.

"As you were..."
Actually most Dahua CVI cameras DO have mirroring

CVI-mirror-1.jpg
CVI-mirror-2.jpg
CVI-mirror-3.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, CVI must run on a Dahua DVR or XVR (which will run both CVI and IP cams)

All of the settings are done through an on screen display as you see above.

Basically you have all of the same settings and control you do with an IP can with the one big exception that you do not have separate day/night exposure control.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Basically you have all of the same settings and control you do with an IP cam
So... in the context of Dahua HDCVI... once programmed, the camera will retain these settings irrespective of power cycling and long periods powered down?

If so I could probably have the supplier switch it to mirrored.

Cheers, Steve