Camera type suggestion!

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys I want to get input from the forum and an ideal camera for my subdivision front entrance. I currently have ip cameras on the exterior of my house and I can view all cars that come into our subdivision, but I want to get better video of the car and or license plates. I understand that i can not run cat5e for that span I would need, but would be interested in analog. I'm relying on everyone's experience on the different types of Analog, such as HD-TVI, HD-SDI and ADH. Which is better? I have ran analog cameras at my workplace and I understand the downside compared to IP Cameras, but since this is a coax run of around 500ft I really don't have a choice. View Picture for cable run. Would mount next to a utility pole at entrance.

Appreciate any help or advice anyone can give!

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you probably can get it to stretch that far; specs guarantee 300ft but many of us have gone as far as 2x that and managed to get it working w/low power cameras.. string a line across the yard and see if it works, if it does then burry it.. use the heaviest gauge Cat6 you can find.

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you probably can get it to stretch that far; specs guarantee 300ft but many of us have gone as far as 2x that and managed to get it working w/low power cameras.. string a line across the yard and see if it works, if it does then burry it.. use the heaviest gauge Cat6 you can find.
Nayr no effect on poe with that distance?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you tried to run full power (12W) then perhaps; but most cameras use 2-6W and convert the 48VDC down internally to 12VDC.. so it can handle a bit of excess voltage drop

cant say it wont have no effect because your beyond specs; but I can say pushing the distance limits works more often than not.. espically if your just stretching it out another 100ft.. Ive seen PoE cameras work just fine off ~800ft of ethernet, much to my dismay.

Worst case you might need to string 24VAC out there along side and then convert it down to 12VDC if the PoE is having issue.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My understanding is CAT5 uses 24 gauge wire and CAT6 uses 23 gauge. If all else is equal, that means the CAT6 will have about 80% of the voltage drop of CAT5 for a given current. If DC voltage drop was the only limit, that implies CAT6 could go 25% farther distance than CAT5 (assuming the cables actually follow the spec, of course; not every vendor on ebay is 100% trustworthy :)

Also worth pointing out that ethernet cables have 8 wires, but only 4 of them are used for data in 100baseT networks (all 8 used in GigE). So seems like a range-extending opportunity there, if you want to be non-standard. To be more specific, my understanding of 802.3af (Power Over Ethernet) for 10/100 mode in Standard A has both data and power on 4 wires, the other 4 wires unused. Standard B uses all 8 wires with the 4 non-data wires for DC power only.

The original 802.3af standard forbids using both A and B modes at once, but practically, it seems you could use an A+B mode and get twice the power, or same power with twice the range. Maybe that is what 802.3at "POE+" does? Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia

Not sure but this passive PoE item appears to offer the ability to use both A and B modes at once: Amazon.com: WT-GPOE-1-AB Gigabit Passive PoE+ Injector / Splitter. Power over Ethernet for 802.3at or PoE+. Wall Mount with Dual DC inputs, Dual LED, Power and Data Shared on All 4 Pairs.: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So is power available at the far end? Assuming it is not since you are concerned about poe. That would rule out the Ubiquity device.
They are excellent however.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys I want to get input from the forum and an ideal camera for my subdivision front entrance. I currently have ip cameras on the exterior of my house and I can view all cars that come into our subdivision, but I want to get better video of the car and or license plates. I understand that i can not run cat5e for that span I would need, but would be interested in analog. I'm relying on everyone's experience on the different types of Analog, such as HD-TVI, HD-SDI and ADH. Which is better? I have ran analog cameras at my workplace and I understand the downside compared to IP Cameras, but since this is a coax run of around 500ft I really don't have a choice. View Picture for cable run. Would mount next to a utility pole at entrance.

Appreciate any help or advice anyone can give!
Which piece of road are you hoping to monitor? The vertical one or the horizontal one?
If it's the vertical one, you could put a camera much closer to your house.

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ver
Which piece of road are you hoping to monitor? The vertical one or the horizontal one?
If it's the vertical one, you could put a camera much closer to your house.
Vertical, but the road runs parallel to my house and I want a clear close up of the license plate

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Vertical, but the road runs parallel to my house and I want a clear close up of the license plate
You'd still want to put the camera closer to the road, but it sounds like you just need to put it before your neighbor's arched driveway which would make for a shorter cable run and easier install.