Camera upgrade.

Beto86

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Beto86

n3wb
Reaction score
I ran an NVR for three years and it sort of kind of worked (false alerts all day - my wife tapped out on week 4 as it was slowly proven that I could not lower the false alert frequency)

Also, as mentioned above they are proprietary and only work with a certain cameras, and the camera manufacturer went out of business!

I run all kinds of brands that are cheap and expensive on BI. You may think an NVR is less expensive, but remember, you are held hostage to whatever price they want for their cameras and their ain't no mix and match allowed.

I think an NVR is pretty good for pet monitoring, but if you are concerned about outdoor safety, do consider how annoying it will be if something bad ever happens and the police can't use the images due to poor quality.
That's what I'm getting right now a lot of false alarms I just figured I would buy AI cameras and NVR from Andy swap out my HD and that would solve my problem. So you're saying AI on Blue Iris is better?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You would also need a PoE switch. You mention moving a hard drive from your existing NVR to the proposed new NVR. How big is that hard drive?

Blue Iris has a very flexible motion detection system. Additionally it can integrate either SenseAI or DeepStack AI to further refine motion detection. Both of those methods do add a load to the CPU of the host machine. Currently that can be mitigated by using a GPU, CUDA capable, and the GPU version of DeepStack. SenseAI does not yet support GPU processing for object detection but it is being worked on.

Beto86

n3wb
Reaction score
You would also need a PoE switch. You mention moving a hard drive from your existing NVR to the proposed new NVR. How big is that hard drive?

Blue Iris has a very flexible motion detection system. Additionally it can integrate either SenseAI or DeepStack AI to further refine motion detection. Both of those methods do add a load to the CPU of the host machine. Currently that can be mitigated by using a GPU, CUDA capable, and the GPU version of DeepStack. SenseAI does not yet support GPU processing for object detection but it is being worked on.
Right now I have a 4tb hard drive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That will work with 6 to 10 cameras recording 24/7 and hold about a month of video. That assumes using sub streams until triggered then switching to main stream for recording purposes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
SO that's anther hidden benefit of Blue Iris. I have 22 cameras running, 6 4MP and the rest 2MP. I get about a month of video on a total of 12GB, 11+GB formatted capacity, depending on motion. Recording sub streams and switching to main stream on motion detection makes a significant difference.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
After researching it seems like an nvr would be the cheaper option. I would need a poe switch plus a pc seems like I would be in the 400-500 dollar range.
you can buy a used enterprise class switch with POE for dirt cheap on ebay:

$40. It will run for years and is reliable to the extreme. 12 ports of POE and 12 regular lan 100mb connections, + 1 gigabit.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's what I'm getting right now a lot of false alarms I just figured I would buy AI cameras and NVR from Andy swap out my HD and that would solve my problem. So you're saying AI on Blue Iris is better?
I have never used the AI on a camera. However I have read that AI on cameras can work well - brand dependent solutions of course, so research and choose wisely. But I think that there is so much more to consider, one being that not just any old camera with AI will work with any old NVR, you will have to use cameras that your NVR allows.
Since I don't know what you are trying to protect it is difficult to know what might work for you. Two cameras running today as well as five years from now? Running the same AI algorithm today as well as 5 years from now? Maybe a NVR with AI cameras would make you happy. I started with 6 and now have 16 and as AI improves, I can easily upgrade to leverage those changes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you're discovering what a rabbit hole surveillance cameras actually are. I started with two, now it's 22 and I still need to add at least two more outside and maybe a couple more inside as well.

Last edited:

Beto86

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok where can I find the minimum specs for a computer that will work I did look at the wiki tab but it doesn't seem to be updated. It shows up to 6th gen someone on here said minimum 8th gen.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Basic specs are i5 or i7 gen 8 or newer. 8GB memory minimum and 16GB is better. M2 drive for boot, anything 250GB or larger. Room, power and SATA connections available to add additional drives. Being able to have a minimum of two. That is a more flexible requirement because CD drives can be removed and replaced with platter drives. Worst case, as long as power and SATA connections are available, some Velcro can easily hold a platter drive in place if there's not enough bays as long as there's physical room for it. If you want to use DeepStack, and probably SenseAI in the near future, enough physical space and a PCIE slot for a graphics card. These cards can actually be double thick so physical space is important. Power supply requirements also go up with a GPU card. I'd say 600 watts for some reasonable overhead for a "big" card.

Beto86

n3wb
Reaction score
Basic specs are i5 or i7 gen 8 or newer. 8GB memory minimum and 16GB is better. M2 drive for boot, anything 250GB or larger. Room, power and SATA connections available to add additional drives. Being able to have a minimum of two. That is a more flexible requirement because CD drives can be removed and replaced with platter drives. Worst case, as long as power and SATA connections are available, some Velcro can easily hold a platter drive in place if there's not enough bays as long as there's physical room for it. If you want to use DeepStack, and probably SenseAI in the near future, enough physical space and a PCIE slot for a graphics card. These cards can actually be double thick so physical space is important. Power supply requirements also go up with a GPU card. I'd say 600 watts for some reasonable overhead for a "big" card.
Thank you this is what I was looking for. I see a couple on eBay but nothing on the 200 dollar range with those specs.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You may need to look for a while to find one. The only reason I said gen 8 is because of Win11. If you're going to run it on Win10 and disable updates a gen 6 or even a gen5 will work as well. Memory and everything else remain the same though.

Beto86

n3wb
Reaction score
You may need to look for a while to find one. The only reason I said gen 8 is because of Win11. If you're going to run it on Win10 and disable updates a gen 6 or even a gen5 will work as well. Memory and everything else remain the same though.
Is there a benefit to running win 11 over 10