Camera versus Light fixture geometry

VIEW

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I’m brand new to all this stuff, so please be gentle. I just got a Nest cam for the entryway of my house. The entryway is recessed, with a ceiling about 9 feet headroom. I would like to install one flat LED ‘Pancake’ downlight, with a built-in motion sensor switch, midway on the ceiling. It would be about nine (LED) watts brightness. I would like to mount the Nest cam centered above the doorway, in-line with the downlight, separated about two feet apart. The Nest cam would naturally be inclined downward at a fairly steep angle, and would only record faces as they approached on the steps, but would still “see” them head-on, (otherwise a corner mount would only record visitor’s profiles). Do you think the proximity to the automatic downlight would be a ‘flare’ problem to the Nest cam? Thanks.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To capture faces, install a quality camera at a choke-point which is face height. As @fenderman said, return the Nest...because it suQs. A quality IP camera will have sufficient built-in IR lighting.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from cloud based cams, Nest, Ring, Arlo and the ilk.
Your planned location is too high to get face ID's.
Again, read the wiki.