Camera Voltage Monitoring

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running a camera on Wifi and Solar. Is there anyway for BI to measure the voltage / amps a camera is drawing and display on screen? So far I've undersized both my panel and battery for what i've been messing with!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could do something like that I'd guess. It would take a circuit to monitor both, digitize the measurements and transmit them to your PC. Then, you'd need to decode that information into text. Once that is done the text can be displayed by BI. Don't forget the added overheard, power consumption, of the monitor circuit when calculating you solar panel and battery requirements though. There's a thread, somewhere on here, by a guy who does things like that for a college or university out in the mid-west. He's using cell and satellite links, but I'm pretty sure he's also monitoring battery/power conditions as well.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's an easier way - check the power spec's for your cam.
That is the minimum amount of power your solar needs to provide to the cam.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
some cams can display the current voltage reading in hidden OSD. what cam brand/model are you using?

or just MEASURE the current draw while running during the day and night time, maybe with one of these (or similar):
put it inline between battery & cam/load, and place it in the cam's field of view until you get things dialed in...

when i think about sizing battery/solar settups, i figure you need 2-3 days (48-72hrs) worth of battery (in case of consecutive no-sun days), and enuf solar to fully recharge the battery on an average day (with about 4hrs of full sunlight).
of course, more of each is better...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you just want to measure current draw once, here's how you can do that with a standard electrical multitool: How to Use a Multimeter, Part 4: Measuring Current (amperage) | Hagerty Media

Otherwise the item linked by @pozzello doesn't have a computer/network interface, but looks like it would be great for a permanently-wired local display.

I did some searching and this looks like it might be a starting point for remotely measuring DC voltage and current. TCP/IP Voltmeter v 1.2 Assuming the product is real and it works as advertised, it would take only a relatively simple program to read the data from the device and write it to a text file for Blue Iris to overlay on a camera.

Last edited:

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There's an easier way - check the power spec's for your cam.
That is the minimum amount of power your solar needs to provide to the cam.
Yeah I thought I was good. I got a 10w panel with a 12v 9ah battery used for gate openers. the specs on the camera said <5 w/ infrared on so I calculated that for a total of 120w. I was fine for 2 days, but the 3rd day was overcast and the battery was 6volts this morning.

I have an extra 31ah battery so I put that on. My buddy thinks I need a 50w panel and per the on online calculator I saw it said I need a 36w of panel with 36ah.

I may just did the trench 80’ and run power out there!

its an amcrest 3mp camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't expect that to work very reliably either. Consider the 10 watt panel will produce much less on cloudy or overcast days and nothing at all during the night. You can make up for some less than ideal conditions by using bigger or more batteries, but then you need bigger or more solar panels to get them charged very quickly.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
figure the cam draws 3w daytime, 5w at night, average of 4w. 4w @ 12v is 1/3 amp. x 24hrs is 8ah per day, so you've got maybe one day of power in your 9ah battery.
A 10w solar panel may only deliver 10w during peak insolation when facing directly at the sun, which practically never happens, so figure maybe 1/2 amp (6w @ 12v) on average, and figuring 4hrs/day of 'good' sunlight (on average), is maybe 2Ah/day of recharge, not enuf for your daily discharge, much less topping off the battery. thus, suggest a 40W or greater panel and appropriate charge controller...

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
figure the cam draws 3w daytime, 5w at night, average of 4w. 4w @ 12v is 1/3 amp. x 24hrs is 8ah per day, so you've got maybe one day of power in your 9ah battery.
A 10w solar panel may only deliver 10w during peak insolation when facing directly at the sun, which practically never happens, so figure maybe 1/2 amp (6w @ 12v) on average, and figuring 4hrs/day of 'good' sunlight (on average), is maybe 2Ah/day of recharge, not enuf for your daily discharge, much less topping off the battery. thus, suggest a 40W or greater panel and appropriate charge controller...
Thanks. What is the benefit of the charge controller?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
matches voltage between the panel and battery, prevents over-charging. not needed for lead-acid if the amp input from the panel is small relative to the capacity (1/100 or so).
crucial for lithium and other chemistry batteries... for example, a 100ah battery (large truck or golf cart battery) can take 1 amp input (or 10-12w) indefintley with no charge controller safely.
anything more than that, you need charge controller or you'll burn up the battery once it's fully charged and not able to push back hard enuf on the incoming current....

Reaction score

This uses a panel and battery.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a link to the one I was thinking about. Note the size of the solar array, but the installation does use a PTZ camera.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's a link to the one I was thinking about. Note the size of the solar array, but the installation does use a PTZ camera.

That is pretty cool. 100w panel is huge! I might get away with a 50w without upsetting the Mrs.

my setup is to try and catch who keeps pooping in my yard!