Camera will not hold resolution settings?

Frostroyk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Camera: IPC-HDW4431C-A-V2

When connecting to the camera web interface and setting the video to e.g. Encode Mode=MJPEG and Resolution=1080P, after a while the camera switch the resolution back to SXGA (1280x1024) or H.264H.

The camera is set up to save recordings on a QNap NAS.

Why is it switching the resolution and can I prevent it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Camera: IPC-HDW4431C-A-V2

When connecting to the camera web interface and setting the video to e.g. Encode Mode=MJPEG and Resolution=1080P, after a while the camera switch the resolution back to SXGA (1280x1024) or H.264H.

The camera is set up to save recordings on a QNap NAS.

Why is it switching the resolution and can I prevent it?
dont use mjpeg...use h.264...see if that helps..

Frostroyk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

h.264 help, but I would like to use mpeg. I don't use dedicated NVR software to watch my videos and it is more convenient to use e.g VLC to scrub through my files when necessary. For h.264 I have to enter the multiplexer settings in VLC.

Besides, Why does the camera shift resolution? Is this something other also have noticed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

h.264 help, but I would like to use mpeg. I don't use dedicated NVR software to watch my videos and it is more convenient to use e.g VLC to scrub through my files when necessary. For h.264 I have to enter the multiplexer settings in VLC.

Besides, Why does the camera shift resolution? Is this something other also have noticed?
its not mpeg, its mjpeg which uses much more bandwidth and therefore storage.....useless.....as far as your issue, likely because you have a hacked china region camera...

Frostroyk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have more issues with this camera that I don't like.

- Not able to login to camera for streaming video to QNap Surveillance Station. ONVIF without authentication only.
- Time setting using a NTP server

I have bought the camera from Xinray - AliExpress. Is it possible to tell if the camera is a B product?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have more issues with this camera that I don't like.

- Not able to login to camera for streaming video to QNap Surveillance Station. ONVIF without authentication only.
- Time setting using a NTP server

I have bought the camera from Xinray - AliExpress. Is it possible to tell if the camera is a B product?
The model number itself indicates a China region camera that was hacked

DarrenD

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think this applies to your situation but maybe it does or maybe will help someone else out. I know that some NVR software (ExacqVision in particular) will overwrite settings that were applied directly on the camera's web interface. In some cases I've had to remove the camera from ExacqVision, change the resolution (or other settings) on the camera web interface, save and reboot, then add the camera back to ExacqVision. After that the settings stick. It doesn't sound like you are using NVR software but if you are, you might want to try removing the camera from the NVR, change your settings, and then add back to the NVR.

Frostroyk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

You are right. I'm not using a NVR software (other then Surveilance Station on my QNap NAS). I noticed that the camera will hold the mjpeg setting if I disconnect it from the Surveillance Station (just changed the ip address in Surveillance Station for the camera to a non used ip address).

But, I still cannot use an user account in the camera so that Surveilance station can log in to the camerea (as the defined user) for getting the video stream. Have to use ONVIF without authentication. When trying to use a user account the Surveillance Station shows a "unknown username or password" (received from the camere))