Camera with IR emitter, triggers at night in rain

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently installed my first Dahua turret (a 5231) and tried using it with the IR emitters at night. Works amazing, except that I cannot find settings that aren't motion triggered in rain. It looks like rain falling near the lens (highlighted by IR light) is enough to set it off. Any suggestions?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Motion detection is very difficult to achieve in an outdoor environment. Turning down the sensitivity for rain and bugs and shadows will likely result in not capturing what you want. Best option is to continuously record but leave motion detection set so you can go the event markers.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Motion detection is very difficult to achieve in an outdoor environment. Turning down the sensitivity for rain and bugs and shadows will likely result in not capturing what you want. Best option is to continuously record but leave motion detection set so you can go the event markers.
Turn off the built-in ir, and mount an auxiliary ir illumination a few feet away from the camera. This will stop rain trigger s for the most part.

Bmr4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turn off the built-in ir, and mount an auxiliary ir illumination a few feet away from the camera. This will stop rain trigger s for the most part.
Where do you position the external light in reference to the camera? Do they have to be on the same plain?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you position the external light in reference to the camera? Do they have to be on the same plain?
As long as it doesn't shine or reflect into the camera lens. You could mount it to one side or the other by 5-6 feet.
Setup a test rig, using a 5gal bucket, rocks for ballast, and a 2x4 to mount the IR light, and test locations.

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems like external IR would help with reducing bug false alarms as well?

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems like external IR would help with reducing bug false alarms as well?
Just installed ir emitters in 2 different locations and rain and bug false alarms are almost non existent, won't know about snow till next winter. Wasn't super happy about mounting another object to the outside of my house but since I ended up mounting them high up by the gables not many people notice them.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't shine or reflect into the camera lens. You could mount it to one side or the other by 5-6 feet.
Setup a test rig, using a 5gal bucket, rocks for ballast, and a 2x4 to mount the IR light, and test locations.
I know this is an old thread.....but I clicked on the "IR LIGHT" link in your post and it took me to a particular IR light on amazon....

It says "Please make sure that your camera is work with 850nm ir light before buy"

Any idea how one finds out that info? I am getting a slwe of false triggers due to rain and fog and bugs and thinking this might help.....

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 940nm is so near to invisible that I could not tell if it was even on. I pointed the light directly at the camera it shined brightly. Just did not illuminate the area. 850nm is the right choice.