Cameras and browser

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have five Ip cameras and I can't view any of them in my browser. They are all connected to my router which is a repeater of the main router. Is that the reason they won't connect because they are connected to the repeater. If so it don't make sense to me. They all come back with different errors, most of which is this error.
403 Forbidden
Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server.

Thank you for any help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using th
I have five Ip cameras and I can't view any of them in my browser. They are all connected to my router which is a repeater of the main router. Is that the reason they won't connect because they are connected to the repeater. If so it don't make sense to me. They all come back with different errors, most of which is this error.
403 Forbidden
Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server.

Thank you for any help.
Are you using the right user password pair ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the PC plugged into the first router, if so it's likely on a different subnet than the cameras and that's the issue.

If the second router's WAN port is fed by the "main" (first) router (double NAT) then it's likely it's on a different subnet than the first router. But if the cams are plugged into that second router technically they would likely (because of DHCP) be on the subnet of that second router.

It would help it you could provide a sketch of the connections, what's connected to what and specifically which ports.
  • Do you know the LAN IP of the main router?
  • How about the second router?
  • Where is the PC connected?
  • Have the cam's been configured with unique, static IP's?

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All cameras are on the same subnet as the repeater that they are connected to. The repeater is only connected to the main router for internet access. All cameras do have their own static IP"s. The PC is connected to the repeater and uses Blue Iris for the cameras that all work well in that software. And the passwords are correct.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All cameras are on the same subnet as the repeater that they are connected to. The repeater is only connected to the main router for internet access. All cameras do have their own static IP"s. The PC is connected to the repeater and uses Blue Iris for the cameras that all work well in that software. And the passwords are correct.
OK.. time to check browser and webserver certs then ..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure your repeaters aren't doing routing.

Try HTTP instead of HTTPS.

What make / models of camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the BI server has a static IP in the same subnet as the cameras?
Why 2 routers?
Are they wireless routers?
So I guess it's a "no" on the sketch?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have five Ip cameras and I can't view any of them in my browser.
The PC is connected to the repeater and uses Blue Iris for the cameras that all work well in that software.
OK so you can't view them with a browser but they ARE visible in the Blue Iris console?

Have you tried to view in UI3 such as "http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm" ?

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If a POE injector or 12 VDC supply are available then power up the camera and use a Window's laptop to view by entering in the assigned camera IP address, user name and password into FireFox. This will indicate if the cameras are operational using the most basic of setups. If that should fail, then PING the camera IP address to see if there is any connectivity.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Since you'd plug that laptop directly into the POE injector or camera insure the laptop has a unique, static IP in the same subnet as the camera, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway or preferred DNS needed.

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will try and make a sketch. Also all cameras work fine, there is no problem with them in Blue Iris. The only problem I am having in B.I. is it keeps crashing using too much virtual memory. I have two routers because the main router is in another room connected to the internet modem. My router is connected to it via ethernet cable and all cameras run through my router.
And this question I don't know what that is. -(Have you tried to view in UI3 such as "http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm" ?)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will try and make a sketch.
That could help a lot.
My router is connected to it via ethernet cable and all cameras run through my router.
Cameras should not be run through a router; the switch portion of routers is not designed to handle that much data from all the cameras.
Your sketch may help us move some things around or eliminate some things so as to improve/fix your issue.

And this question I don't know what that is. -(Have you tried to view in UI3 such as "http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm" ?)
BI has a built-in web server that you access with a browser on a PC, smartphone or tablet that is on the same LAN as the BI server (or remotely, but let's save that for another time). Open a Chromium-based browser such as Edge, Brave or Chrome to "http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm", substituting your BI server's LAN IP and your BI server port., leave off the quotes.

Last edited:

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am no artist but here is a sketch best I could do. Also I have no idea what this reply is. :Open a Chromium-based browser such as Edge, Brave or Chrome to "http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm", substituting your BI server's LAN IP and your BI server port., leave off the quotes. How do I find these IP's and port?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am no artist but here is a sketch best I could do.
Were these cams viewable before on the PC and something changed OR they've never been viewable on the PC?
Also I have no idea what this reply is. :Open a Chromium-based browser such as Edge, Brave or Chrome to "http://BI-server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm", substituting your BI server's LAN IP and your BI server port., leave off the quotes. How do I find these IP's and port?
Who set up Blue Iris for you? I ask because it surely does not sound like you did.

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They've never been viewable on a browser, they work fine in Blue Iris. I did set up Blue Iris. It only captures video to my PC. Nothing to do with a web server or anything else.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They've never been viewable on a browser, they work fine in Blue Iris. I did set up Blue Iris. It only captures video to my PC. Nothing to do with a web server or anything else.
Go to BI "settings" (the big gear upper left) then the tab for "web server."
Under "Local Internal (LAN) access" what is in the box to the right of http://
It's OK to tell us, it's a private IP, we all have them; my BI server is Just don't reveal the IP below it under "WAN/Internet access."