Cameras at 2 different locations

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have BI at my house with 3 cameras and want to add 2 cameras at another location,I have internet service at both places but don't know exactly what else would be needed such as:
1. another computer
2. another BI with license
3. a way to get everything communicating

Thanks in advance for your response

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have BI at my house with 3 cameras and want to add 2 cameras at another location,I have internet service at both places but don't know exactly what else would be needed such as:
1. another computer
2. another BI with license
3. a way to get everything communicating

Thanks in advance for your response
Welcome to the forum..Ideally you should have a separate system setup at the second location..you can stream from one BI pc to the other or from the remote cameras to BI as backup if you wish but this would consume bandwidth...it only really makes sense if you need a live view of all cams at either location...if so you will want to setup a vpn..there is a thread explaining vpn setup for noobs.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..Ideally you should have a separate system setup at the second location..you can stream from one BI pc to the other or from the remote cameras to BI as backup if you wish but this would consume bandwidth...it only really makes sense if you need a live view of all cams at either location...if so you will want to setup a vpn..there is a thread explaining vpn setup for noobs.
I will check it out, thanks

klaparp

n3wb
Reaction score
Or you could just use portmap to the remote camera and access it directly. Not much safety there but it works.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or you could just use portmap to the remote camera and access it directly. Not much safety there but it works.
Can anyone give me a primer on portmapping? I have tried to set this up with no luck.

Thank you

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll do the vpm route,it will take a little more time and study but seems to be the best way to go

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There seems to be different ways to set-up a VPN. Can someone explain the way I should do it, without running any other equipment? Such as a recorder, NVR, PC, Etc? I mainly need a secure way to view my cameras over the internet and phone app. Later on I hope to record over the internet.

Thank You

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be different ways to set-up a VPN. Can someone explain the way I should do it, without running any other equipment? Such as a recorder, NVR, PC, Etc? I mainly need a secure way to view my cameras over the internet and phone app. Later on I hope to record over the internet.

Thank You
Read the VPN thread linked above