Cameras dropping out on BI-Help?

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, several times a day some cameras drop (it does this on V4 or V3) . Sometimes one or 2 and sometimes all. Most times they come back in a minute but I get a lot of drops during the day. Sometimes I have to unplug the camera(POE) to get it to start again. I am using 8 wired (ethernet cameras), a few different models and I have an 8 port POE switcher and I actually have 2 of them so I tried both and same thing. I also have 2 different computers I have tried (each with way more then needed to run BI). Any ideas, it is driving me crazy! Since I am using ethernet cables does my internet come in to play? I have Comcast and I use their modem (gateway), my internet speeds are lightning fast and steady, I am just trying to figure out anything I can try but I assume for ethernet then the internet does not come in to play. If anyone can help with the dropouts I would be delighted. Thanks, Adam

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question. What brand cameras are dropping out? I am having similar issues that started yesterday, been working for a month but the stopped working as of yesterday. Every 4 hours almost exactly they they drop out and i have to pull the ethernet cord and plug em back in. Strange! But these cameras are cheap chinese cameras form amazon. jidetech i think is the name of them. they have a nice pic, they are not a bad camera but if i have to reset them every 4 hours i might as well throw em in the trash.

Amazon.com: JideTech 1080P POE IP Camera with Email Alarm & Infrared Night Vision 100ft Waterproof Outdoor Security Camera: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
their support told me to try rtsp instead of http. i will try this and i guess i will know in 3 hours if it works.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see it but it does not work, camera won't even boot with that option.

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue! I have 8 Chinese Hikvision cameras that are all hard wired and would randomly drop out. Every camera would crash at different times, 3-5 hours, but if I reset the LAN, they would come back on for awhile. This was driving me crazy, same setup as you, Comcast internet with their junky modem/gateway.

The camera negotiates and uses the standard IPV4 and all is good. But, sneaky Comcast assigns a IPV6 address, which causes the cameras to get confused and everything goes offline. I'm sure the true Hikvision cameras have no problem with IPV6, but these knockoff cameras we have don't play nice with the IPV6 handshake.

Again, the comcast modem gateway is junk, but since it was a business location, we were forced to use it. In the submenu of the gateway, there is a option to de-select IPV6 by unchecking the box. However, this doesn't do crap, it will still assign a IPV6 address. Here's the work around and what ultimately worked for me. Call comcast and tell them to put your modem/gateway into bridge mode. (when i did this, i lost my static IP address). Now, go buy a 100 dollar linksys router at your local walmart. With this router, they give you the option to truly block IPV6 in the menu. Run your POE switch to the linksys router, and all should be good.

This silly problem had me chasing my tail for many many many many hours. I'm pretty sure you are having the same issue I did, figure I would save you some time.

Last edited: