Cameras failing to connect

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Got a strange one and hope you can all help. Got a four camera set up. They are all at a distance from NVR (all hik vision) so have two POE switches in the system.
Other day it came up with no link on all four cameras on monitor and hik vision app. Checked all switches all lights are on for power and data. Tried rebooting to no success so decided to do a factory reset ( I have recently bought the property the cameras are on so decided while factory resting it would be a good time to change passwords.
Now I can see all four cameras on the NVR monitor as in there IP, status (which has a green tick), management port,device model No and serial No in the online device list but when I go to add them to added device list it the Model No and serial No do not appear and the status changes to a red cross with the network unreachable error.
Will the camera password still be set to previous owners setup? Which I do not have or am I missing something out?
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
am I missing something out?
The IP addresses of the cameras as seen either on the NVR or SADP, the IP address of the NVR LAN port.
The model of the NVR and whether it has PoE ports. If you factory reset it, and it has PoE ports, and the cameras are on the LAN (ie same address range as the NVR LAN interface, implied by them being on PoE switches) then the NVR will expect the cameras to be on the (usually) 192.168.254.x address range of it's PoE ports. So 'network unreachable'.
Maybe the previous configuration, before the factory reset, had the channels defined to connect to LAN-connected cameras as opposed to NVR-PoE-port-connected cameras.

Reaction score
The IP addresses of the cameras as seen either on the NVR or SADP, the IP address of the NVR LAN port.
The model of the NVR and whether it has PoE ports. If you factory reset it, and it has PoE ports, and the cameras are on the LAN (ie same address range as the NVR LAN interface, implied by them being on PoE switches) then the NVR will expect the cameras to be on the (usually) 192.168.254.x address range of it's PoE ports. So 'network unreachable'.
Maybe the previous configuration, before the factory reset, had the channels defined to connect to LAN-connected cameras as opposed to NVR-PoE-port-connected cameras.
IMG_20230510_104818_HDR.jpg

It is a hikvidion ds-7604NI-k1/4 with 4 POE ports but cameras are connected from switch to LAN port.
I I quiet sure it will be the settings are not set to work from the LAN port I have attached photo of I.P on the NVR screen of the cameras and of the added devices I just can not figure out how to get the NVR to accept the cameras from the the LAN port.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have attached photo of I.P on the NVR screen of the cameras and of the added devices
OK, that's clear, and helpful.
This process is a bit easier via the NVR web GUI, but you should be able to add the LAN-connected cameras via the VGA/HDMI interface.
The menus in this area vary with the firmware version, so these steps may not be exact :

Click the PoE Binding Configuration menu.
Untick the channel you want the LAN-connected camera to appear on, click Save.
Back to the IP Channel menu, select the LAN-connected camera that you want to add.
It should give you a screen where you can set the admin password that the camera is using.
Click the Add button.
That should complete the configuration change.

This is equivalent to setting a channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play and manually changing the channel IP address and password to match the camera, in the NVR web GUI.

Reaction score
OK, that's clear, and helpful.
This process is a bit easier via the NVR web GUI, but you should be able to add the LAN-connected cameras via the VGA/HDMI interface.
The menus in this area vary with the firmware version, so these steps may not be exact :

Click the PoE Binding Configuration menu.
Untick the channel you want the LAN-connected camera to appear on, click Save.
Back to the IP Channel menu, select the LAN-connected camera that you want to add.
It should give you a screen where you can set the admin password that the camera is using.
Click the Add button.
That should complete the configuration change.

This is equivalent to setting a channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play and manually changing the channel IP address and password to match the camera, in the NVR web GUI.
Thankyou for this.
This is what I have been doing but it is still saying network is unreachable. Apart from it does not bring up a box to set admin password.

Reaction score
Although when I first add it it says username or password is incorrect. Is it possible there is a previous password from previous owners stopping me connecting?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To add a camera that's 'Active' you must know what the admin password is.
Can you log into the camera web GUI via a browser on the PC?