Cameras for store aisles

Noctilum

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for cameras that can be used to capture store aisles? 720p and PoE are all I really need. They will have to be connected to the actual shelving unit so I won't be able to mount on ceiling or far away. If need be I'll get two for one aisle and shoot from opposite sides to get the whole thing. Thanks!

Reaction score
Not an expert, but I guess the experts might need to know 1. how long your aisles are and 2. how wide the aisle is to get an idea of the field of view you are trying to cover, and whether you need to see someone slipping a candy bar into their pocket or just need to be able to identify the person taking the candy bar (to get good enough ppf).

Noctilum

n3wb
Reaction score
The aisles are 4 ft wide and can vary from 20ft to 30ft in length. Catching the act is most important because we have surrounding cameras that can get good details of them when they come out of the aisle, but getting both good picture and the act would be awesome, of course.

Also, I'm using a PC with Blue Iris for my system if it's necessary to know.

Reaction score
Hi Noctilum,

Perhaps something like this would work well:
Seeing double - New Dahua dual Starlight IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12
I was thinking along those lines, because it's indoor, but I would think for long+narrow you would want 6mm-12mm lens which I didn't think that had as an option. What about one of the panoramics with 3-4 sensors (either dome or bullet-ish)? Otherwise a vandal proof varifocal dome (and indoors with good lighting you could also go with higher MP like 4MP or 6MP).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking along those lines, because it's indoor, but I would think for long+narrow you would want 6mm-12mm lens which I didn't think that had as an option. What about one of the panoramics with 3-4 sensors (either dome or bullet-ish)? Otherwise a vandal proof varifocal dome (and indoors with good lighting you could also go with higher MP like 4MP or 6MP).
The panorama cameras seem to get a bit pricey, so probably best for cases where you can justify that investment.

Lots of good options, personally I really like the 8mp / "4K" UHD cameras for well lighted areas.