Cameras in browser

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are using a router as a repeater from your main router and running your IP cameras through the repeater router to another PC, should you still be able to see your cameras by putting their ip address in the browser in the PC you are using the repeater router that the cameras are running through? Thank you for any advice

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even though I've re-read your post several times, I still don't grasp your network schema...a sketch would likely clarify it.
It is especially unclear what the function is of a "repeater router."

Show what is wireless and how these routers are connected such as LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN, etc.
Also show what the IP address is of any and all routers and cameras and if they are DHCP or static.

Those are all private IP's so you can reveal them....for example, my router's LAN IP (gateway) is 192.168.200.1, my Blue Iris server is 192.168.200.250, port 81.

Last edited:

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The routers are connected wirelessly the main router is IP: 192.168.0.1 and the repeater router is 192.168.2.1. The cameras all have Ip of 192.168.2.xxx and two are static the other one is not.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The routers are connected wirelessly the main router is IP: 192.168.0.1 and the repeater router is 192.168.2.1. The cameras all have Ip of 192.168.2.xxx and two are static the other one is not.
What is the IP of the PC that you are trying the "see" the cameras with?
And what is the IP of the router that the PC is connected to?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1681122256290.png

@TonyR, I was struggling like you to understand it so this is my attempt. :D

I'm guessing the subnet they are working from is the 192.168.0.x one and where the pc he is trying to access the camera from. The camera is on subnet 192.168.2.x so the pc can't talk to the camera unless they setup some VLAN or bridging.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 159601

@TonyR, I was struggling like you to understand it so this is my attempt. :D

I'm guessing the subnet they are working from is the 192.168.0.x one and where the pc he is trying to access the camera from. The camera is on subnet 192.168.2.x so the pc can't talk to the camera unless they setup some VLAN or bridging.
I agree.

That's where I was heading and was seeking the OP's reply so as to not give him any wrong info, but I suspect that's it. Not sure why folks are so reluctant to furnish a sketch.

If it turns out to be as we suspect, he easily could convert the 192.168.2.X router into an AP with a switch by turning off it's DHCP and assigning it a unique static IP in the 192.168.0.X subnet that's outside the main router's DHCP pool, then connecting a LAN port on the main router to a LAN (not WAN) port on the AP.

Last edited:

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the IP of the PC that you are trying the "see" the cameras with?
And what is the IP of the router that the PC is connected to?
The IP of the PC that i'm trying to see the cameras with is 192.168.2.120 and the router connected to it is 192.168.2.1

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IP of the PC that i'm trying to see the cameras with is 192.168.2.120 and the router connected to it is 192.168.2.1

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, everything is plugged into the other four ports
A head scratcher, for sure.
The PC, cams and the router the PC is plugged into being all on the same subnet should mean the PC can "see" the cams.

BTW, in what manner is the "repeater" router configured?
Is it a Cisco-Linksys feature selected in its webGUI?
What is the model # of that "repeater" router?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you've configured things, devices connected to each router are in different subnets and as a result likely won't be able to talk to one another without a router that's functioning as a router and a possibly definifng a static route. I say likely because it's possible dynamic routing could enable communication, but probably not as you've set it up. If you wanted to go that route, you'd need to disable NAT on the second router, use the WAN port and make sure RIP / RIPv2 were enabled on both routers.

It's simpler to just keep everything in the same /24 subnet as most consumer routers can only handle a subnet of 255.255.255.0 or smaller (read up on how subnetting works). To do this, on the ISP router, change the DHCP server range to .100-.254 and use .2-.99 for devices you want to assign static IPs to including all your cameras. Disable the DHCP server on the second router, assign it an ip address of 192.168.0.2.

You could also assign a second IP address to the same interface on a computer and possibly access both subnets.

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought maybe this would be something I have overlooked or done wrong. This is too much trouble for me to go through just to see them through the browser. They all work ok so I think I will leave them as is. The only other thing is I also have a program that I use during the day just to keep an eye on things called IP Cam Viewer, and three of my cameras work fine on it but two do not. The program finds their IP and everything but will not find the video. Any suggestion on that? Anyway thank you for all the help you have given me.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought maybe this would be something I have overlooked or done wrong. This is too much trouble for me to go through just to see them through the browser. They all work ok so I think I will leave them as is. The only other thing is I also have a program that I use during the day just to keep an eye on things called IP Cam Viewer, and three of my cameras work fine on it but two do not. The program finds their IP and everything but will not find the video. Any suggestion on that? Anyway thank you for all the help you have given me.
Probably the same problem more or less. The way you've set up your network just causes issues. There are a bunch of ways you can fix it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having IP cameras on Wi-Fi is problematic to begin with.

If you could replace the "repeater" router with a switch and run one cable from the main router's LAN to that switch, put everything on the same subnet your problems would likely go away.

Assign unique static IP's to all cams and your PC, again all in the same subnet, and outside of the one, main router's DHCP pool you'd likely be golden.