Cameras not recording to AUX hard drives

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I previously had all my cameras recording to 1x 8TB Purple WD hard drive.
I want to record some cameras to different 2x 4TB Red WB hard drives, so I set them up for Aux 1 and Aux 2 under the BI General Settings on Clips and Archiving.
Then I went into the settings for some cameras and set correct Aux 1/2 folders under the recording options.
My cameras set to continuously record too.

After doing everything, all my cameras are still recording to the 8TB hard drive. I can't get cameras to record else where. I've restarted BI, restarted computer, etc.

I don't have BI support anymore, any thoughts?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Where are your 2-4TB drives located.....on BI machine or lan ? Are you running BI as a service ?

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So these are my drives:
upload_2018-8-26_11-4-6.png

Some cameras go here:
upload_2018-8-26_11-4-30.png

Some cameras go here:

upload_2018-8-26_11-4-46.png

Went into camera settings:
upload_2018-8-26_11-6-38.png

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks ok, and you are sure profile 2 is active now ?

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I had 2 Continuous going for a few months now.
These changes should be pretty straight forward..

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I had 2 Continuous going for a few months now.
These changes should be pretty straight forward..
I agree, the only thing I did different was I kept the same default directory structure for each of my drives....not sure if that is necessary but here is what it states in help:

Clips and Archiving Options

The Clip Options window allows you to specify the physical location on your hard drive where clips will be created and stored. You must specify the first three, with default names New, Stored and Alerts. You may specify up to 10 in total. These folders must not be overlapping or "inside" one another. You must retain a name for each folder, but if you will not be using it, you can blank out the path setting.

The Alerts folder is special in that it will contain JPEGs as configured by the option on the Record tab in camera properties and is not used for video recording. The Alerts folder must remain 3rd on the list.

These folders do not need to be located on the same hard drive or PC as the database. Note however, that if you are running Blue Iris as a service, you may not be able to use the "LocalSystem" account if your Stored clips folder is located on a network drive; instead, you must use a named user account, and give that account rights to the network resource.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Does your storage look correct ?

storage.JPG

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I never thought it would....just for kicks I would add a new cam or duplicate and see if it writes to aux 1.....I still think it may be a schedule or profile thing.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, I just added a folder on my c drive that is still called new folder and set it up as AUX2.....went to a cam and changed it to aux2 and everything worked fine. So you can throw out all the directory structure idea out the window. Like you said, this shouldn't be that difficult :)

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never thought it would....just for kicks I would add a new cam or duplicate and see if it writes to aux 1.....I still think it may be a schedule or profile thing.
Making a new camera actually worked and it recorded to a new hard drive...
So I need to remake all my cameras? lol

But if I try to change the recording folder of that "new" camera to the 3rd drive. Doesn't work, stays on the 2nd new drive. So it has the same problem all my other cameras have, I can't change the recording location of the camera after it is setup.

Last edited:

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it. For some reason I had to mess around with the Profiles. I disabled/stopped them, enabled, then everything started recording in the correct places...
Thanks for you help Tinman

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Making a new camera actually worked and it recorded to a new hard drive...
So I need to remake all my cameras? lol

But if I try to change the recording folder of that "new" camera to the 3rd drive. Doesn't work, stays on the 2nd new drive. So it has the same problem all my other cameras have, I can't change the recording location of the camera after it is setup.
Ha...just found out that if you have the record time set for say 1 hr....it has to finish that recording first.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you got it....but note my post above. I changed one of my cams to use other drive and then noticed it still recording to old one...even though I had changed it. Mine are set for 30 minute recordings and I will see if it switches on next interval.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you got it....but note my post above. I changed one of my cams to use other drive and then noticed it still recording to old one...even though I had changed it.
I just figured restarting BI would solve any record times or profile issues since it was restarting the whole program.
That was frustrating. Thanks for the help.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
No kidding, well as the 30 minute clip ended, it then started to record to the other drive as i thought....anyway glad you got it hashed out !