Cameras recording too late

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've noticed that some of my cameras record by the time someone walks all the way up to and/or past the area I am recording. For example, when someone walks through the backyard - I don't really know where they came from because they are practically past the camera's range by the time the video starts. Or, in my basement bar, when I turn the light on and walk 25-30 feet from the light switch over to the bar area... it looks like I just popped up out of nowhere lol.

I'm sure there are some settings I'm missing, but I worry that someone could approach our house pretty easily if they go fast enough and get out of range at the right time. Under my Record settings I have a stream buffer time of 5.0 and a pre-trigger record time of 5.0. I also have video set for "Continuous sub + triggered"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a couple of different issues.

Are you saying even though you are recording continuous you can't rewind before the alert and see where the person came from and they just magically appear somewhere in the field of view? If so sounds like your iframes don't match FPS.

Post screenshots of motion settings and the BI Camera status page that shows things like camera name, IP address, FPS, KEY, etc. The KEY should be 1.00

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go in to object detection and uncheck the "move x number of pixels" and uncheck "reset at X%" box as those are both for eliminating false triggers and you have the opposite happening.

Make the interframe space 1x. At 4x, that is giving you a KEY of 0.26 means that an object can take almost 5 seconds before BI will trigger.

Those three are the source of your problems.

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are these checkboxes the ones I should uncheck?

1713195935858.png

I changed Interframe to 1x on both cameras. I will have to check my other EmpireTech and Amcrest cameras also.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct-uncheck those.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mention a Reolink camera....they are notorious for doing a very poor job of captures at night.
And they also do not play nice with Blue Iris.
Other than Reolinks new Doorbell cam, all their other crap should be avoided.

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You mention a Reolink camera....they are notorious for doing a very poor job of captures at night.
And they also do not play nice with Blue Iris.
Other than Reolinks new Doorbell cam, all their other crap should be avoided.
Wasn't aware of that, but too late now. I have 2 EmpireTech cameras for important zones and an Amcrest for a garage zones. So far the Reolinks have worked well except for this - but that doesn't appear to be related to the brand.