Cameras reporting no signal

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Since Christmas Day my BI set up has been having trouble with three of my five IP cameras.

Basically they are reporting "No Signal" - initially I thought that this was a local network issue, but if I access the camera IP address from a browser, the live feed signal is working fine.

In BI, or the BI iOS app if I notice a no signal, I can "reset" the camera and the signal is restored in BI for a few hours, but obvious I'm not getting any motion recording when the signal has been lost.

Before this then set up hasn't changed for many months, apart from the occasional BI upgrade - so it's looking like the final V3 upgrade has broken my home cctv :-(

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If the cameras are foscams, make sure you have the latest firmware.

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - I do have a Foscam Camera and they are working fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went through a similar issue in December and thought it was Blue Iris related (I have six Sharx cameras, a mix of wired and wireless). It cleared up when I turned off anti-virus (I was using Trend Micro). Now I don't know if blue iris started doing something differently that anti virus interfered with, or if it was an anti-virus update that started this problem. Its on my list to try another antivirus solution. BTW, I am on BI 3.66.

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
I've have a couple of unbranded cameras, that now seem to have trouble talking to BI.

These are the cameras:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111353748342

I run AVG on the CCTV PC so will try disabling that, it's really strange that they seem to work for a short period then drop. If the AVG was blocking traffic I'd expect them to never be visible.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree, I never understood how Trend Micro could be interfering off and on. I even put in an exclusions so that everything in the blue iris directory was excluded from scanning, but that made no difference. I'd love to hear how things go for you if you turn avg off for a while...

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
No problem - I'll give that a go. From looking back it looks like the update to V3.65 broken my installation. I then took up the offer of a half price upgrade to V4 and that has the same issue.

Not sure if I can roll back to the v3.xx I was running before v3.65 :-(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If these are on WiFi, it could be interference causing connections to drop. (if the cameras are not on wifi, maybe the Blue Iris PC is?)

Otherwise check your CPU and memory usage. If CPU usage is near 100% it could cause those problems. If memory is high (like above 80% usage across the entire system) then maybe Windows is using virtual memory for Blue Iris and causing slowdowns and malfunctions.

Last edited:

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my case I could eliminate both CPU and memory issues (I run on an i7 with 8gb memory, and CPU stays well under 10% and memory used is around a 1/2 gb). Also, there weren't wifi or camera issues as far as I could tell, as I could access the cameras directly without issue, and the camera uptime indicated no reboot. In addition, I saw some of my cabled cameras go no signal.

I agree with smiffy that something changed in blue iris and/or my antivirus or windows install.

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah - disabled the AV software and cameras still loosing signal.

I'm now looking and installing v3.45 on another PC just to clarify if this resolves the issue.

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm - I've rolled back to V3.45.02 and its been stable all day - so something must have changed in V3.66 and that issue seems to have been transferred to V4 :-(

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great. You should report that to the developer. My understanding is that he does not monitor the forums

smiffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Will do - just sharing results for the benefit of others.

jones9999

n3wb
Reaction score
Since Christmas Day my BI set up has been having trouble with three of my five IP cameras.

Basically they are reporting "No Signal" - initially I thought that this was a local network issue, but if I access the camera IP address from a browser, the live feed signal is working fine.

In BI, or the BI iOS app if I notice a no signal, I can "reset" the camera and the signal is restored in BI for a few hours, but obvious I'm not getting any motion recording when the signal has been lost.

Before this then set up hasn't changed for many months, apart from the occasional BI upgrade - so it's looking like the final V3 upgrade has broken my home cctv :-(

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
Hello

I was also experiencing this problem, what my issue turned out to be was my D-Link DIR-655 was overwhelmed I would reset the router and the signals would return for a time.

I upgraded to a LinkSys newest (was a beta tester and have the newest Linksys router) that seemed to be able to handle the additonal load, I have 18 devices on the router

I have 4 ip cameras, and two wired via my Piccolo Diligent capture card on my server.

the only drop off I experienced was the IP cameras three foscam clones and a SIRICam from China

since the upgrade on the router I haven't had a problem, (maybe defective router D-Link, I don't know)