Camera's RTSP URI Changes

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a camera where the RTSP URI changes constantly. The URI is in the format of "rtsp:/x.x.x.x:554/live/1jfiegbrxl2aa_p0_PHKYHCXMNFDM". The last portion changes. The camera is fine/stable in the TinyCam app. ONVIF works fine when adding the camera in Blue Iris, but I don't see a way for Blue Iris to track the URI change.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I scanned the QR on the camera to add it to the Vimtag app. I added some more info below.

Camera: VSMAHOME Mini G3 Pro -- App: Vimtag

I just did some digging and came across this -- Vimtag Mini G3-8310 -- I really hope it's not a backstream kind of situation.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I scanned the QR on the camera to add it to the Vimtag app. I added some more info below.

Camera: VSMAHOME Mini G3 Pro -- App: Vimtag

I just did some digging and came across this -- Vimtag Mini G3-8310 -- I really hope it's not a backstream kind of situation.
Then it's likely using their cloud.

The second link you provided, the second post is from me where I got the TP-LINK Tapo C110 providing RTSP and 2 way audio with Blue Iris, re-stated below with links to how it works with BI..... rock-steady, no wierd URL changes:

If you really want to stream the video and audio from a smallwireless cam to Blue Iris, return it and get this one from amazon ==>> TP-Link Tapo 2K Indoor Security Camera for Baby Monitor, Dog Camera w/ Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio Siren, Night Vision, Cloud &SD Card Storage (Up to 256 GB), Works with Alexa & Google Home (C110)

and set it up like I did here ==>> Blue Iris Camera Compatibility

I had it streaming RTSP to Blue Iris 5 and also VLC. Not bad looking for a $25 wireless only, little cam with 2-way audio and selectable 720p/1080p/2K resolution.

NOTE: The Tapo C110 streams to TP-LINK's cloud and back down to be streamed to your phone, Blue Iris or VLC so your phone's cellular data and/or your location's Wi-Fi data rates can apply. I mention this cloud also because there can be concerns about security and/or reliability with a P2P/cloud operation. If you enter a UID number, serial number or scan a QR code with an app and created an account, then the device streams up to their cloud and then back down to be displayed. Lose your Internet connection, lose the camera video and audio.

EDITED 6/14/23 @ 0746 CT: Let me correct my previous statement that the Tapo C-110 has to stream to the cloud. That is not correct, I missed a step. Once you set the cam up with the Tapo app, go to that camera's "Settings" (the gear icon at upper right) => "Advanced Settings" => "Device Account". Create a username for the cam and a password and save it, then enter those EXACT credentials into Blue Iris for that cam.

I now have a $25 indoor, 1080p/2K wireless cam, with a mic (speaker AND mic works in the Tapo app for 2-way talk) , SD card storage and IR that streams RTSPwith audio to Blue Iris, no cloud or P2P involved. The 5VDC USB wall power supply is UL-listed as well. I can see this little guy in my garage's utility closet, staring at the status LEDs on my fiber modem or watching the status LEDs on my water heater...both non-critical roles but very convenient, IMO....for $25!

Last edited:

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't notice the poster until now! I was able to block internet for the device via my router and the video stream still worked locally. I confirmed by trying to connect through the cloud app using cell data. I'll do a little more digging before potentially returning.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My ultimate goal is to stick with this camera as it is a sub-$20 (after coupon) 2.5k/4mp IP65 indoor / outdoor camera. I created a python script that polls the camera for the RTSP URI. I just need to have it poll every X seconds and update the RTSP URI within Blue Iris if a change occurs. The URI should technically not change unless there is another device accessing it, but this will ensure that it remains updated.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After messing around with this for the day the following would be the best solution (aside from giving up and returning the cameras):

Within the camera properties utilize Watchdog to trigger "Find/inspect" when connection is lost for X seconds. It's not possible at this time. Waiting on a response from Blue Iris support to see if they have any suggestions. It's a bit of a dirty setup, but keeping everything in the Blue Iris software itself would be great.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally found a solution and it seems to be working great! I installed Agent DVR -- iSpy - Open source camera security software -- and added the camera within there. I was then able to add the MJPEG for the camera URL within Blue Iris. Agent DVR has built in functionality to handle cameras that have a changing RTSP URI. I hope the instructions below help someone.

1. Download and install Agent DVR -- Download Video Surveillance Software
2. Access the interface via (replace x.x.x.x with the IP of where the software is running).
3. Click the Server Menu icon >> New Device >> Click on the Display Slot (or Skip) >> ONVIF >> All options should be Off on the Configure screen
4. Max Framerate: 30 (or your chosen value)
5. Source Type: ONVIF >> Click ...

-The camera's ONVIF URL should show within the Available list (mine is: ).
-Discover: Click on Get Video URLs and select the video URL under Live URL. Note the dimensions shown for the Live URL.
-Force Reload: On (this will handle the changing RTSP URI)

6. Click on OK >> and then OK again.
7. Go back into the Server Menu >> Settings >> Select Playback from the dropdown at the top >> For the Maximum MJPEG Size input the size (or higher) that was shown for the Live URL in the 5th step.
8. Within Blue Iris for the camera's URL you would input the following: -- Replace the x.x.x.x for the Agent DVR IP -- oids value is the camera number within Agent DVR -- size is the Live URL value or smaller depending upon your usage.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Added 4-5 camera using this method. 30% CPU (i7 12700) usage (even with GPU) just from Agent DVR. Blue Iris machine is separate. Definitely not a long term solution.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a high CPU usage for that machine. People are running 50 cams on a 4th gen at less CPU%.

Can you not pull in substreams?

Recent BI additions have shown running the GPU increases CPU% so turn off hardware acceleration.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The high CPU usage is for Agent DVR, not Blue Iris. Probably caused by the transcoding of RTSP H264 to MJPEG.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the RTSP stream does not have any sort of password which does not matter for my use case. The internet access can be blocked for the cameras which eliminates any external threats. The only thing is that they would need internet access to modify a setting. I don't plan on changing any settings though. This is more of a temporary setup, I hope.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still looking for a new method. Didn't think about how Blue Iris saves MJPEG and it's massive unless you re-encode. Cranking out 20gb PER HOUR which is per camera (~480gb per day per camera).

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be better to go with another better supported cam that doesn't require all of this? I can appreciate the challenge of making something work when you need/have to but you've already put in way too much effort than money saved toward something that's likely just going to end up giving you mediocre results in the end. Been there done that with other cheap cams. Not worth the trouble.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Might be better to go with another better supported cam that doesn't require all of this? I can appreciate the challenge of making something work when you need/have to but you've already put in way too much effort than money saved toward something that's likely just going to end up giving you mediocre results in the end. Been there done that with other cheap cams. Not worth the trouble.
Yeah, it's one of those moments where you say to yourself, "I'll just try this and it should work..." and it turns into a whole mess where you regret even purchasing the item. Definitely not worth the trouble unless Blue Iris gets an update to refresh the ONVIF data if a camera disconnect is detected.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can appreciate the challenge of making something work when you need/have to but you've already put in way too much effort than money saved toward something that's likely just going to end up giving you mediocre results in the end.
My thoughts as well.

I sometimes get an urge to accept a challenge and come out the victor, just makes me feel like I'm not losing my touch. That being said, during the process I try to keep sight of reality....is this something that needs to be out there and working NOW or can I afford to spend this much time on it right now? If it comes back "NOW" I get something out there working and resolving the immediate need THEN I come back and continue the challenge of fiddle-farting around with the gadget, trying to get it it work. :cool:

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't believe it's been a month already! Just wanted to post a couple of (positive) updates.

I reached out to Ken and he added a couple of updates to Blue Iris (beta builds currently):

API:

/admin?camera=cam1&ippath=/whatever
You can use the API and update the video path via ippath.

JSON:

"cmd":"camconfig"
"ippath":"whatever"

I ended up using the JSON route as I integrated it along with the following script: Python code to trigger BI camera
That script allows you to not have to screw around with the web UI login.

---

I also made a request (Add support ONVIF source · Issue #380 · AlexxIT/go2rtc) for ONVIF functionality to be added to go2rtc -- GitHub - AlexxIT/go2rtc: Ultimate camera streaming application with support RTSP, RTMP, HTTP-FLV, WebRTC, MSE, HLS, MP4, MJPEG, HomeKit, FFmpeg, etc. -- and it has been added in the master release as of now.

I have some cameras using the JSON update. The python script gets triggered when the camera goes offline for 10 seconds. It then updates to ippath. I have a couple of cameras using go2rtc now. go2rtc is a cleaner setup for now. Testing both methods to see which works best.

I hope this helps other people out with this same issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe it's been a month already! Just wanted to post a couple of (positive) updates.

I reached out to Ken and he added a couple of updates to Blue Iris (beta builds currently):

API:

/admin?camera=cam1&ippath=/whatever
You can use the API and update the video path via ippath.

JSON:

"cmd":"camconfig"
"ippath":"whatever"

I ended up using the JSON route as I integrated it along with the following script: Python code to trigger BI camera
That script allows you to not have to screw around with the web UI login.

---

I also made a request (Add support ONVIF source · Issue #380 · AlexxIT/go2rtc) for ONVIF functionality to be added to go2rtc -- GitHub - AlexxIT/go2rtc: Ultimate camera streaming application with support RTSP, RTMP, HTTP-FLV, WebRTC, MSE, HLS, MP4, MJPEG, HomeKit, FFmpeg, etc. -- and it has been added in the master release as of now.

I have some cameras using the JSON update. The python script gets triggered when the camera goes offline for 10 seconds. It then updates to ippath. I have a couple of cameras using go2rtc now. go2rtc is a cleaner setup for now. Testing both methods to see which works best.

I hope this helps other people out with this same issue.
@djmadfx
You might want to re-read my edited post #4 above. I got the TP-LINK Tapo C-110 streaming RTSP directly to my LAN with no Internet.