Cameras with Color IR

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these Lorex color IR night vision cameras? (or other color night vision cams).

Curious if color IR night vision works good or if it's a gimic of some kind? I usually just use regular IR. The video looks kinda like it could be a sham but who knows.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/articles/self-serve/color-night-vision-security-cameras/R-sc16000084

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqRd_dLUDkI

ah, only .1 lux. probably a sham. Probably doesn't work in pitch black and the reviewer seems to confirm that. bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking sham as well but then flir got thrown into the mix there and now you have me curious as well. not really seeing any reviews of them that I trust

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in every single one of those videos they lost detail in color and you'd of been capturing more information overall remaining in B&W..

it wont work at all in pitch black.. 'Color IR' simply means the firmware will let you keep it in Color mode with the IR Cut filter open.. most simply use the switch from B&W/Color to also trigger the IR Cut, if they made it independently triggered you'd have a 'Color IR' camera.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
marketing-schmarketing.

"It is important to note that the Color Night Vision feature needs ambient lighting to continue to record full color images. If the lighting conditions ever drop below 1 lux (total darkness), the full color video will typically switch to black and white infrared night vision to ensure optimal low-light image quality."

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
marketing-schmarketing.

"It is important to note that the Color Night Vision feature needs ambient lighting to continue to record full color images. If the lighting conditions ever drop below 1 lux (total darkness), the full color video will typically switch to black and white infrared night vision to ensure optimal low-light image quality."
Yep, looks like marketing hype to me. As far as I can tell, these are just moderately sensitive low light cameras. It looks like they will stay in color mode and provide a "useable" image down to a little above 1/3 lux and then switch to night mode.

springheal

n3wb
Reaction score
As an experiment I tried my Dahua DH-SD29204S-GN on colour for day and night.

Result is not bad. Colours are washed out but still okay. Detail I reckon would be better with black and white (Auto setting).

Night with colour.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wait til something moves, its doing very slow shutter speeds to pull it off