Camouflage a camera on chimney

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to camouflage the following camera when attached to an inactive chimney? (The camera will be right above chimney stack so I can do 360 degree PTZ.)

Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Using this bracket:

PFB303S | Dahua Technology

I assume 1 thing I can do is spray paint the camera and bracket to match the chimney paint color.

What else?

The camera will be about 2 stories above ground. I'm hoping to camouflage camera enough so that neighbors do not notice when looking up at chimney.

Reaction score
Don't simply paint things in a single color. Much like military and hunting camouflage, lay down a flat (not glossy) base color that matches the majority area, then dab/spray/smear one or two other colors over it, to diffuse the base color.

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score
Mount an old sat tv dish to the bracket?

Seriously though, it depends on the stack, colors, etc. It's not going to be too easy with the massive bracket and the fact that the camera needs to move around.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a local paint store color match the bricks on my house to paint mine. Haven't done it yet because I'm waiting to finish installing the second one before i start painting. I hate cleaning paint brushes and want to only do it once. I'm mainly replying to remind myself to post a picture of the final product to this thread.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in guys. I also thought of an idea. How about mounting a weather station on the same post, right underneath the camera, like:

Amazon.com: Ambient Weather WS-0900-IP Wireless Internet Remote Monitoring Weather Station, White: Home Improvement

so if neighbors casually look up towards chimney, they might just assume it's all related to a weather station.

I don't think the weather station would impede the camera view, and I would get accurate weather for my location as a side benefit.