cams/BI captured a-hole stealing my kids' xmas presents

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
some stills and video in this flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49201507@N00/albums/72157662311509101

[video]https://www.flickr.com/photos/49201507@N00/23672703792/in/album-72157662311509101/[/video]

local police was unable to view the flickr content as their system blocks it as 'social media'.
how else am i gonna report a crime? sheesh...

FedEx delivered at 6:30pm (have video evidence of that too) but didn't bother knocking or ringing the bell.
We were home the whole time... Amazon is sending replacement, thank-you.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

[video]https://www.flickr.com/photos/49201507@N00/23672703792/in/album-72157662311509101/[/video]

local police was unable to view the flickr content as their system blocks it as 'social media'.

FedEx delivered at 6:30pm (have video evidence of that too) but didn't bother knocking or ringing the bell.
Sucks..in more ways than one. Demand from your police WHAT VIDEO FORMAT/SERVICE THEY PREFER....don't hang up (or let them leave) until you have an answer. This thief is easy to ID, but you may still want to lower your cam closer to eye level. Thanks for the post/pics...we have a capture thread in the Pics and Videos forum:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/41-Pics-amp-Videos

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
thanx. To thier credit, officer came by within minutes with a USB fob for me to load the pics/videos onto.
kinda funny really, but whatever. I don't expect much to come of it.

that guy got lucky with a couple Kindle's intended for my kids.

i need to set up alerts on that front door cam so I know when something was delivered and don't let it sit out all night.
but so many false alarms, and i don't always have my phone where i'd notice a text or email...

and i still think Fedex shoulda rung the bell @ 6:30pm , dammit. we were home...

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
like i said, a text or email would have gone un-noticed at that time. how about knocking or ringing the bell?

enuf shill'in for UPSMyChoice, properly capitalized so the spiders can find it... :)

shit happens. that's why we have cams...

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get a knock on my door about 1 time in 10...dudes are busy.
I bet this site has robot.txt user agent: * Disallow: / in the index. If not, they prolly should. ;) Oh, and Amazon rocks.

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I'm just getting to this post. Been away from IPCam Talk for a bit. You might try connecting with your local Probation and/or Parole office (sometimes they are separate depending on state and county) and see if the local administrator will send out the link or some of the stills to the POs in the office. I'm a state PO and the local police will often send us stills from robberies, etc. to see if we recognize them from current or past supervision. (These banks and Quick Stop places need better video equipment!) A low life POS like this guy is probably on paper or has been in the recent past. The stills are good enough that I'd probably recognize him if he had been on my caseload. Good luck with it.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

From my limited experience, police like a usb stick or CD with content and viewer on it. On the other hand this is way below the bar for investigating unless there was more crimes like that nearby or a more serious crime happened nearby and in a short window of time from your event. If you could ID the person police would be more interested in your crime.

Nice that your getting replacement, creppy that it happened.

toddmc451

n3wb
Reaction score
My $0.02 on the theft - This could be a good training opportunity for UPS... Go to the local UPS office with your tablet or mobile phone; Ask for the manager; show manager the videos; explain that the package was stolen; let them know you were home; and ask them to remind their drivers to always ring the doorbell or knock as a common courtesy.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it is kind of weird. Now that I have a camera setup to monitor my front door walkway, I notice about half of my deliveries - the person doesn't ring the bell. And it's not like they have to walk farther, they're already in the same area as the button.

wingerr

n3wb
Reaction score
Welp, he's supposed to register the delivery on his computer, at which point it fires an email to you if you're UPSMyChoice.
Does UPS do some kind of partnership with FedEx for package tracking? I know USPS has some combined arrangement, but didn't figure UPS would.

I think most of the delivery services do the drop and run method of package delivery- I'm able to have everything delivered to work, which has been generally glitch free. Except one time when the package omitted the company name, and USPS couldn't figure it out even with a full address on it, and subsequently sent it across the country to some unknown address where it went missing.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does UPS do some kind of partnership with FedEx for package tracking? I know USPS has some combined arrangement, but didn't figure UPS would.

I think most of the delivery services do the drop and run method of package delivery- I'm able to have everything delivered to work, which has been generally glitch free. Except one time when the package omitted the company name, and USPS couldn't figure it out even with a full address on it, and subsequently sent it across the country to some unknown address where it went missing.
Not to my knowledge, for tracking per se, but in truly remote areas, I believe a 'driver/delivery dude' can indeed work for more than one company, and deliver from either of the services (rural and island access by boat/flight comes to mind). Drop and run is normal here in NorCal...only new guys knock, until they're broken in.

wingerr

n3wb
Reaction score
Drop and run is normal here in NorCal...only new guys knock, until they're broken in.
Yeah, if I'm expecting an unmonitored delivery at home, I tend to monitor the tracking information on an OCD basis under the assumption the delivery guy won't bother ringing. Even kids dropping off the flaming poop bags would extend you that courtesy- :cool:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
get a little wicker trunk or an old milk delivery box and put it on your porch, most delivery people will put the packages inside one.. and if not they will if you ask them too.

normal foot traffic will get used to that box being next to your door and presume its usually empty, if there are packages they wont be visible.. Someone would have to check it regularly or watch your house to know it has a package, and those are easier to catch. you can also take it a step further and install a security sensor inside the box and get notifications when a package is delivered without relying on external services.