Cams up, Pictures here.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the waterproofing info. I live in a hostile place and will not place my new HFW5231E-Z12 cameras low despite the known advantages. Each cost 200+ and lots of time with DHL. I cannot afford spending more time and money on new cameras all the time and giving somebody pleasure for destroying them. I saw some days ago US Embassy in Sri Lanka with PTZs that were placed high maybe 15 ft or more. My guess is that they want to see if there is a problem without risking the cameras. They can send Marines or local police to solve problems fast.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I've read a lot about camera placement on here, and seen what my own cameras do with regard to getting good face shots. And from that, I agree that it is very easy to mount cameras too high.

When the crooks are out farther from the cameras, it's OK for them to be mounted fairly high. But as they get in closer, you really do need lower mounting to see faces well.

The cameras may be more susceptible to vandalism or theft when mounted low, but most of us don't live in places where things are as bad as it sounds like they are in Chicago. Different tactics for different situations, I suppose.

One advantage to having them mounted fairly low is that you can clean the spider webs off very easily. ;)

The crummy bullet-style units I have need that frequently. I just reach up and wipe them off with my bare hands at least once per day because those cams are clustered right above my front door, so I can reach them any time I'm coming or going. If they were mounted up high, they'd be such a pain that I would have replaced them long ago!

A bad guy could easily damage them all, but they'd be recorded on the approach, at least. Of course they could wear a mask, etc. But this sort of thing is pretty uncommon around here. I've never heard of it happening.

Still, all it takes is a hoodie and knowing where the cameras are to avoid being identified. So that's an argument for well-hidden cameras!

For me, this all started with my wife just wanting to be able to see who is at the door without needing to actually answer it. But it is nice to be able to see more, so the system has expanded.

It is interesting to see the different philosophies of use and application expressed on this forum.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like you made some good choices on placement! 7' vs 9' high makes a difference!