Can’t decide between two different cameras.

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
Pretty new to security cameras, been reading a bit on here and can’t decide if I should get -

Starlight - IPC-T2431T-AS

Amcrest - IP5M-T1179EW and flash it with the Duhau firmware.

I can’t seem to find a big difference between these 2 aside from $20?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty new to security cameras, been reading a bit on here and can’t decide if I should get -

Starlight - IPC-T2431T-AS

Amcrest - IP5M-T1179EW and flash it with the Duhau firmware.

I can’t seem to find a big difference between these 2 aside from $20?
The Dahua has a teensy bit larger sensor which should improve night vision, but it's not that much larger HOWEVER....
the reason I'd go with the Dahua (and I have several Amcrest I like including the IP5M-1179EW-28MM) is because for $20 I would not run the risk of bricking a working Amcrest with the firmware...many have done so successfully but quite a number have also bricked their cam....I'd go with the Dahua.

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
The Dahua has a teensy bit larger sensor which should improve night vision, but it's not that much larger HOWEVER....
the reason I'd go with the Dahua (and I have several Amcrest I like including the IP5M-1179EW-28MM) is because for $20 I would not run the risk of bricking a working Amcrest with the firmware...many have done so successfully but quite a number have also bricked their cam....I'd go with the Dahua.
Good to know. Thank you.

I also read on one post that these Dahua’s are outdated. I am only looking for good image quality and tripwire, not really interested in the AI features. I live in a rural area but have a street light in front of my house that stopped many cheap cameras from going into night mode, so I think anything will be an upgrade.

I’ve been test driving the Amcrest 2696 AI that I borrowed from a friend and for 4K it really isn’t noticeable shaper than a 4mp I tried out.

I’m actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment trying to figure everything out, positioning, height, cameras etc.

I work in IT, so cabling, switches and things like that I am good.

Reaction score
Realize that the T2431T-AS has a plastic mount ring that does not lock. I have one in my garage and also one of the newer T2431R-AS-S2 in the same garage, both in 2.8 mm. They are OK, but do not deliver good color low light video. They will be better with IR unless you have a TON of light.

If you really want 4MP, then the 5442 series is a much better cam, but of course is more expensive.

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
Realize that the T2431T-AS has a plastic mount ring that does not lock. I have one in my garage and also one of the newer T2431R-AS-S2 in the same garage, both in 2.8 mm. They are OK, but do not deliver good color low light video. They will be better with IR unless you have a TON of light.

If you really want 4MP, then the 5442 series is a much better cam, but of course is more expensive.
I’m open to any mp really. I’m also ok with IR over color night vision. The non locking ring isn’t a concern, neither will be within reach.

is the image quality on the 5442 way better (not counting what you mentioned)? We had Wyze cams (yeah awful) until recent and they were plenty for what we needed. I’d imagine the 2431 would blow a Wyze cam away right?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless funds are real tight, buy a 5442, the EmpireTech Andy models offer fantastic value. The 5442 is in wide use by a lot of users on this site so any questions are promptly answered.

I have three, two in use, one not mounted. I run color 24/7 with LED streetlights near my home. Mine have been in use 24/7 for over a year, I have had zero issues.

Reaction score
I’d imagine the 2431 would blow a Wyze cam away right?
I have never had a Wyze cam, so I can't say. 4MP on 1/3" sensor is not going to be very good in low light.

I have a T2231T-ZS-S2 which is a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor and is a 2.7-13.5mm varifocal. I have it looking across my front porch which has lots of light at night. It does a great job. A 2mp on a 1/2.8" sensor will out perform the 4MP on 1/3" sensor, half the pixels on a bigger sensor. The 5442 is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and is much better.

So here are some stills from the 2431 in the garage. These are dialed in as best as I can get them.

Garage 0 2022-02-11 03.01.50.207 PM.jpgGarage 0 2022-02-12 11.13.57.782 PM.jpg BTW, the B&W is full IR. No lights are on in the garage. Only the IR from this cam and the one over my shoulder.

Now here are two from the 2231 on the porch.

Front Porch Lookig East 2022-04-05 12.13.29.871 PM.jpgFront Porch Lookig East 2022-04-06 12.21.55.667 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Same mount with the Amcrest too. One difference is that the Amcrest is 4:3 aspect ratio. And some of the settings are more limited.

If yours are the Wyze V3, then they likely will look better and brighter at default settings with a static scene vs the 2431. But that's where it quickly ends... In order to get that look they push gain way way up, there's tons of compression, and the bit rate is relatively low. So in practical use in low light with things moving in a complex scene, that all breaks down kind of badly. You'll be able to set the 2431 to get better overall results. Or I suppose that you could set it up with a ton of gain and a slow exposure too to get a great static pic and lousy results otherwise. ; ) A big difference either way is that with the Dahua you'll be able to change settings as needed for the application/setting vs being stuck with however Wyze is doing things.

The 5442 is a big step up from both in terms of low-light performance.

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
Same mount with the Amcrest too. One difference is that the Amcrest is 4:3 aspect ratio. And some of the settings are more limited.

If yours are the Wyze V3, then they likely will look better and brighter at default settings with a static scene vs the 2431. But that's where it quickly ends... In order to get that look they push gain way way up, there's tons of compression, and the bit rate is relatively low. So in practical use with things moving in a complex scene, things breakdown kind of badly. You'll be able to set the 2431 to get better overall results. Or I suppose that you could set it up with a ton of gain and a slow exposure too to get a great static pic and lousy results otherwise. ; ) A big difference either way is that with the Dahua you'll be able to change settings as needed for the application/setting vs being stuck with however Wyze is doing things.
Alright, I canceled the 2431s and bought 5442s. You all know better than me lol. I’m surprised no one recommended 4k. My boss kept pushing me to get 4K. Good looking car also. Reminds me a bit on mine.

Attachments

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure, a friend let me try it and I did a factory reset before. So whatever is default.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll bet it won't look as good if there's motion in the scene. The camera should have a web GUI that will show what the settings are.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 - yeah let us see a picture with a car going by or a person walking - then you will see what we are all talking about here.

I can make a $40 camera look like noon when it is midnight out, but motion will be a complete blur.

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m trying to post a video but it won’t allow it from my phone. I’ll have to hop on the computer.

imthescott

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 - yeah let us see a picture with a car going by or a person walking - then you will see what we are all talking about here.

I can make a $40 camera look like noon when it is midnight out, but motion will be a complete blur.
I’ll try and post one soon, I don’t know security cameras but I do know actual cameras, so I get what you’re saying. Long shutter, more light, more motion blur etc.