Can a DS-2CD2032F-I act as an NVR from an external HD? (using PC as a NAS)

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been happy with my DS-2CD2032F-I, having it record motion to the onboard microsd card.

I'd like to extend its recording capability and I remember reading that these IP cameras can record directly to a NAS. Unfortunately I don't know enough about this method.

Can I -
- set up a NAS using an older pc that will allow my DS-2CD2032F-I to use it for storage? I have some low power PC's and a number external HD's and don't want to spend $$ on a real NAS if I don't have to.
- Use the playback function in the DS-2CD2032F-I to pull and show images from the NAS?

also it looks like the playback function in the DS-2CD2032F-I it can show multiple cameras like a dedicated NVR would do. How would I get that to work?

I know that people use BI but the built in playback NVR function in the DS-2CD2032F-I works fine for me. If I can use one of my low end PC's (J1900 CPU) as a NAS and get it to work, I'd like to go that route.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I -
- set up a NAS using an older pc that will allow my DS-2CD2032F-I to use it for storage? I have some low power PC's and a number external HD's and don't want to spend $$ on a real NAS if I don't have to.
- Use the playback function in the DS-2CD2032F-I to pull and show images from the NAS?
Yes, you can do this.
You need to set up some shares to attach to - either SMB/CIFS or NFS.
But there are a few gotchas - mainly on the maximum volume size - quite a few posts on that topic covering people's experiences and problems and solutions.

also it looks like the playback function in the DS-2CD2032F-I it can show multiple cameras like a dedicated NVR would do. How would I get that to work?
That's not something I have seen, or heard of.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you can do this.
You need to set up some shares to attach to - either SMB/CIFS or NFS.
But there are a few gotchas - mainly on the maximum volume size - quite a few posts on that topic covering people's experiences and problems and solutions.
Thanks. I'll do a forum search for 'SMB/CIFS' and 'NFS' and read up on it.

That's not something I have seen, or heard of.
My mistake. I see it in the iVMS-4500 iOS app, not on the camera itself playback tab.