Can an i3 be sufficient?

Reaction score
I had an old samsung 4 bnc camera setup for years and it did its job.
Recently upgraded to 8 ReoLink 4K POE cameras and put 256gb and 512gb microSD cards in. That is not enough space!!!!

So I have 2 options:
1. buy reolink dvr and just run that OR
2. Build a PC and install BlueIris

I have already bought blueiris so we are good there.

i have spare parts laying around and I can whip this up but wondering if it is worth it.

parts needed:
* Case

Parts on Hand:
MSI Z690-A DDR4 ATX motherboad
i3-12100F CPU - This might be tight I am guessing but it is a 12th gen
128gb ram (4x32gb) - too much??? most likely but sitting right here on my desk not in use
800w power supply
256gb NVME - OS
3x 512gb NVME - Camera Storage
handful of smaller SSD that will stripe together to get more storage

I know the i3-12100F might be tight and I could upgrade it by upgrading my gaming rig from an i9-13900K to an i9-1400K and move the 13900k over to this machine.... BUT...
I have an Nvidia gtx 1060 not in use and could use that if that would offload the issues of the smaller cpu.

Just looking for ideas on what makes sense... Either just get DVR and 2 large ssd drives or use this system and whip it together as I only need a case at this point.

Thx for your input! highly appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink is not a camera upgrade and many posts here over the years of showing Reolink not working well in BI.

Reolink works best in its own platform, so it will work best with a Reolink NVR.

However, that doesn't fix the perform poorly at night issue that Reolinks are known for.

Reaction score
Reolink is not a camera upgrade and many posts here over the years of showing Reolink not working well in BI.

Reolink works best in its own platform, so it will work best with a Reolink NVR.

However, that doesn't fix the perform poorly at night issue that Reolinks are known for.
so far loving my reolink's... have had a few issues with memory cards going unformatted thus the point of going to a recorded solution.... albeit some cameras have 512gb memory to which they say max supported is 256... but the ones that had issues were 256...
also had 1 camera totally die on me... it was replaced for free after I paid for shipping to them but that goes with everything as i just had to return a motherboard to msi for rma and had to pay shipping...

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out the WIKI at top of forum (Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris) .

In the "F" series CPU, I believe they disabled the GPU circuitry, so you would need an external video card. Comparing my BI I5-9500 system with the i3-12100F, the i3 is slightly better so it shouldn't be an issue, even recording 24x7, using sub-streams. As for memory, 16GB-32GB should be enough. If you decide to record 24x7+triggered events, then it's recommended that you use a hard drive (i.e. WD purple, Seagate SkyHawk). Don't forget to add in the price of Windows :(.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most love their Reolinks until an incident happens...

How is the night performance with motion? Care to share a few examples of objects in motion at night, along with the camera model names?

Reolink does a very good job of still images. But at night perps are a complete motion blur with missing body parts LOL....

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1708801531582.png

How about missing everything but the blur of a head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence where that rectangular reflective plate is that he is carrying around)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1708801585568.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1708801599328.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink thread. It is documented in that thread as well the issues that BI has with Reolink cameras.

You can see all the attempts people have provided to demonstrate the quality of Reolink, and they are all a blurry mess at night or missing body parts or other messes.

We have challenged folks to provide a clean capture of someone moving at night with a Reolink and as you can see with over 20 pages, nobody has yet to provide a usable image with motion at night.

Maybe you will be the first to provide a great night capture outside of a person or vehicle in motion...

Reolink's algorithm is designed to produce a nice bright static image at night and that comes at a cost of blur and ghost and missing body parts at night.

Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

Reaction score
Most love their Reolinks until an incident happens...

How is the night performance with motion? Care to share a few examples of objects in motion at night, along with the camera model names?

Reolink does a very good job of still images. But at night perps are a complete motion blur with missing body parts LOL....

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1708801531582.png

How about missing everything but the blur of a head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence where that rectangular reflective plate is that he is carrying around)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1708801585568.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1708801599328.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink thread. It is documented in that thread as well the issues that BI has with Reolink cameras.

You can see all the attempts people have provided to demonstrate the quality of Reolink, and they are all a blurry mess at night or missing body parts or other messes.

We have challenged folks to provide a clean capture of someone moving at night with a Reolink and as you can see with over 20 pages, nobody has yet to provide a usable image with motion at night.

Maybe you will be the first to provide a great night capture outside of a person or vehicle in motion...

Reolink's algorithm is designed to produce a nice bright static image at night and that comes at a cost of blur and ghost and missing body parts at night.

Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"
i will do what i can... been busy and cameras up...