Can an Xfinity Gateway be reconfigured from using the 10.0.0.1 system to the 192.168.1.1 system?

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I posted something similar before but not quite this. I am getting a new gateway from Xfinity and it is configured for 10.0.0.1 main IP address so I THINK all devices attached will be 10.0.0.X? All my cameras are 192.168.1.X and I want to know if anyone is familiar with possible resetting the new gateway so it works on 192.168.1.X and to log in you use 192.168.1.1. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help. Adam

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for someone who knew for sure if the Xfinity gateways using 10.0.0.1 can for sure be changed to 192.168.1.1 and perhaps if so a little help on setting it up (like correct subnet mask etc). Sorry, I am just trying to get it right. Thanks for any help. Adam

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for someone who knew for sure if the Xfinity gateways using 10.0.0.1 can for sure be changed to 192.168.1.1 and perhaps if so a little help on setting it up (like correct subnet
Most likely it CAN be changed but if not, just prepare to change all the cams to 10.0.0.X, make them static, unique and from outside the router's DHCP pool.
If you're going to get the new one anyway you'll find out soon enough. :cool:

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, agreed, was hoping not too and was hoping someone had one of the newer Gateways from Xfinity and knew for sure. Anyway, thanks, Adam

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, agreed, was hoping not too and was hoping someone had one of the newer Gateways from Xfinity and knew for sure. Anyway, thanks, Adam
That is the issue with the question - which gateway? As @TonyR said, most can be reconfigured, but they change the brand and model of modems they have, and you would have to know that to get a definitive answer. It is also possible that Xfinity lock it down, since you are renting it, and they won't let you change it. I don't know if they do that or not, I haven't checked places like DSLReports for latest models and capabilities.