Can BI do 24/7 recording but still give separate alerts for motion?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im thinking I would like to record everything (continuous?) but would like to have alerts for motion - is that possible or recommended (assuming storage space is not an issue)? Is there a downside from a CPU/Ram perspective to always recording?

Thanks,
Rich

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Recording 24/7 with alerts is available in Blue Iris. Simply select "continuous & triggered" or "continuous & alerts" in the record tab of each camera. If you're using sub streams the cameras will record in the lower resolution of the sub stream until triggered or an alert occurs, depending on the way you set it. Then it switches to the higher resolution of the main stream for the duration of the trigger/alert. This results in tremendous disk space savings. I have 22 cameras set this way recording to a total of ~11TB of formatted drive space and get about a month of video archive. Keep in mind that the alerts/triggers are nothing more than pointers in the database to the triggers/alerts and not separate, discrete, recordings.

record settings.JPG

Last edited:

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you! I will give this a try!

My goto Trigger settings are:

Motion sensor checked
(under configure)
I have the min object size toggled left (More sensitive)
I have the min contrast toggled left (More sensitive)
I have object detection disabled

Camera digital input checked

I think this has given me way to many false positive alerts which does make it hard to sift through the data.

Is there a better guide for me to have more accurate alerts or notifications?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other item - I have 60 cameras so making a change on all them them is a bit of a chore. Is there a way to do a batch edit of settings?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Motion detection is scene/camera dependent. One way to filter them is to use AI like DeepStack or SenseAI. If you go that way a GPU would be best to offload AI processing from the CPU. SenseAI doesn't support GPU processing yet so you'd need to run DeepStack. GPUs are kind of expensive right now which is another consideration.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had played around with Deepstack and felt it worked pretty well. I wasnt sure if I could do the continuous recording with deepstack triggers but it sounds like a possible solution?

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some things to consider: (Especially with 60 cameras)
-You may not want motion alerts on every camera at all times. For instance, the camera that watches our back door does not have motion alerts during daylight hours, since wife and I go in and out that door all day long. It does alert after dark, when we are generally inside. Profiles and schedules are useful for this.
-Cameras with built in AI, like the 5442’s, can often do a better job of choosing when to alert than tuning settings in Blue Iris
-You may need to use Deepstack on some cameras during the day, but not at night, or vice versa. I currently have 6 cameras (more on the way) but only run Deepstack on one camera during daylight (tree shadows) and a different camera at night(frequent spiderwebs and IR reflection in rain.)

Like @sebastiantombs writes, it’s all highly camera/scene dependent. And with 60 cameras, unless you are monitoring a large, vacant facility, I’d think you’d want a number of those cameras recording ”just-in-case”, rather than most of them aler5ing on motion. But, I don’t know your use case.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! I will give this a try!

My goto Trigger settings are:

Motion sensor checked
(under configure)
I have the min object size toggled left (More sensitive)
I have the min contrast toggled left (More sensitive)
I have object detection disabled

Camera digital input checked

I think this has given me way to many false positive alerts which does make it hard to sift through the data.

Is there a better guide for me to have more accurate alerts or notifications?
Using those settings will no doubt cause lots of false alerts. Those settings are there to use for fine tuning each field of view.
See here for tutorials on many subjects. And be sure to read the Blue Iris help.
Blue Iris Support - YouTube