Can Blue Iris be configured for a daily scheduled reboot?

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if Blue Iris V5 has a way to shut down and then immediately restart itself at a predetermined time each day or even every other day. The reason being, my setup (BI plus 6 4K cams seems to develop a time lag over 3 to 5 days. A restart seems to clear out the cobwebs so to speak. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a cpu issue?

You could set BI to run as a service and schedule windows to reboot every day. BI will start up automatically when it's run as a service.

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to determine if it's a CPU issue. I have a Xeon running at 3.5GHz. Seems pretty capable maintaining CPU usage at around 40%. I would really like a graceful/gentle way to shut down BI from within the program, and then restart.

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I've configured all the cameras to reboot 5 minutes apart starting at 2:00AM. I'll report back with my findings in a few days as I monitor this change. Thanks again!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you more worried about daytime or nighttime activity?

Having BI compact/repair daily at 2am and cameras rebooting at 2am means no coverage at that time.

Personally I would do around a time you feel is less likely for a bad guy to come around (if that is even possible anymore).

Reaction score
hey , rebooting BI every 48hr because you have an issue is a piss poor solution. i highly recommend you try to fix your issues.

I have an old server ( 8 +years) that has 10 new cams and runs in at a unclimate-controlled Wearhouse, it has not been rebooted in 6 months. there is no reason to have to reboot every day.
you have a pretty serious issue, kick the can and its going to bite you in the but and you won't have the DVR when you need it.
you are going to need to fix it , even if that means getting professional help.

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: Rebooting the cameras one a day was a no go. I'm still seeing an approximate 30 - 40 second delay from real time to what's being displayed on the BI computer. Rebooting BI clears up that delay for a while until the delay reoccurs again. Any and all suggestions welcome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How is your network configured? Are your cameras going through the router at any point or are they isolated from the internet with VLAN or dual NIC in the BI computer? If they are going through the router and the cameras are on the same IP address range of your other devices, that is likely the problem.

But even if your cameras are isolated from the internet, for a Xeon processor with 6 cameras at 40% CPU, it is clear you have not done every optimization or you are using the computer for other things, and that will cause the problem as well.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will be sub 10%, but more than likely even sub 5% CPU at idle. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

I am on a 4th generation with way more cameras than you and my idle is 10%. Another member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc. so we can see what is going on. 40% for 6 cameras on that processor is too high.

Last edited:

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for your very informative feedback. I implemented the guidance from the optimization wiki. My setup appears to be screamingly efficient and my CPU usage is hovering around 3-4 %. The sub stream change really did the trick. I'll of course monitor my system over the next few days to see if any lag takes place but I'm thinking that issue is history. I'll report back then to confirm. Thanks again!

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention one unintended consequence with my recent optimization. It would appear that my string of snaps as is taken when the camera is triggered and then emailed to me is sourced from the sub stream if I'm not mistaken? I've maxed out the quality and scale settings but the clarity is still much lower than before I started using the sub stream. My question is, can I get the resolution on my emailed attached images to be a bit higher? It's not a show stopper, just thought I'd ask. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set the pre-buffer to be longer than the iframe interval, so if in the BI camera status page, it shows a KEY of 1.00, that means your FPS and iframes match and the iframe is every second, so make the prebuffer at least 1.5 seconds and that should take care of it and pull from the mainstream.

smallik

n3wb
Reaction score
wittaj, I set my camera frame interval to 15. That brought my key up to 1.00. I then changed my pre trigger video buffer to 1.5. That got my email attachments back up to full size and good resolution. Not sure if I have configured everything correctly or as you advised, so I've included a few screen captures for you to comment on if you have a free moment.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks good, except change the iframe on the substream to 15.