Can I add wireless cameras to a Dahua NVR ethernet-based setup?

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all.

Setup:
Dahua NVR 5216-16p-4ks2e
6 cams (all directly connected ethernet) - all Dahua
Asus router Rt-AX86U
20 port managed switch

I would ideally like to set up one or two cams in places I can't reach with ethernet cable (for various reasons). These places would be within my network's wi-fi range. If this is possible, I may add a wifi doorbell too.

So is there a way the NVR can "see" a wireless cam?

- Can i somehow set up an ethernet switch with some sort of wireless capability, then onto the NVR via ethernet?

- Can I make use of 2 spare USB ports on the back of my router?

Other ideas? Compatible cams?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes

I have a n Amcrest wireless cam used as a "mom monitor" connected to a Dahua NVR. Generally Amcrest will be compatible
The wireless cam would be issued an IP on your home network, the NVR if its on that same network, should be able to see it just fine

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fish. How would I know if this were the case with other brands of wireless?
Would most doorbells work as a wireless unit "reporting to" the Dahua system and recorded by the NVR?

We regularly have need to focus in on various goings-on out the front and to the side of our property. Our house cams are mostly set up to focus on our own stuff, which means the detail is not there when it comes to some areas a little further away, or at different angles. I'd love to have one or two wireless cams I can move about and reposition as needed. If out of range, I could just add a wireless repeater or booster as required. But it'd be great if the NVR just registers these as if they were just another Dahua cam plugged in directly via Ethernet. That way I can still use the same search/review/watch software, and view the cam remotely with the usual DMSS app.

Does that all make sense?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I and most here don’t recommend wireless cameras but generally the NVR will see them. As to whether it will play nice or not I couldn’t say beyond the Amcrest.

Remember wireless cams are notorious for dropping out, and using lots of your wifi network bandwidth.
Others here likely have far more experience with them than I

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cheers. Yeah I don't want to use wireless really, however just due to one or two applications, I can't manage wired.....