Can I find my black lab at night when he is buried in the evergreens?

Reaction score
My name is Timothy and I live near Pittsburgh, PA.

About 16 years ago I had an 8 camera coax system installed. This is my fourth camera and DVR upgrade in 16 years. Last week I upgraded 13 of 16 cameras and my DVR (all Dahua). My plan was to order all 5mp night color cameras but the seller (www.ctvsecuritypros.com) ran short and substituted three 8mp cameras which hopefully I placed to greatest advantage.

My DVR (CCSP-32XTR-512) may be a model year or two old. I purchased it at a substantial discount but I wanted the four SATA drive ability. I calculate, based on first week usage; that I have about a 122 day archive with the four 10TB hard drives.

I have a modest size property sporting ample cameras so that anyone on my property will probably be on several cameras at any one time and always within DORI “Identify” distance.

My cameras were selected and purchased based on night color ability but their low light (starlight) ability particularly at distance (200’+) has discouraged me from turning off the IR.

I was tempted to upgrade to POE IP but I added about 14” of fiberglass insulation in my attic. Keeping the old RG59 cable made the upgrade a 4 hour not a 4 day job.

Last upgrade cycle I ended up with several cameras with IR reflection issues, so this time 12/13 cameras are bullet style.

Learning the nuances of the SmartPPS software has proved a chore; I would include screen shots if prt-scr worked with SmartPPS.

I have my own CCTV test. Am I able to quickly find my black lab at night when he is checking the evergreens for bird nests? Alleluia can get completely buried deep in the azaleas when he is on a scent. Based on that one very severe test the upgrade results from 2.1mp cameras is very substantial.

I like my cost and I like the results. If anyone is interested in more particulars please feel free to comment.