Can I improve my Lorex NR900X and cameras?

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask, if not I apologize in advance.

I have slightly older but still capable hardware with an assortment of cameras (all PoE):

Lorex NR900X NVR - 8 port 4k/30 capable
LNE8950AB 4k/15 dome
LNB8973B 4k/15 bullet
LNB9232 4k/30 bullet
LNE9252B 4k/30 dome

I'm not a huge fan of the stock interface and although it "works" it's a struggle and I feel like I'm missing some pretty basic features like tracking. What are my options here? I'm fairly good with electronics so I'm not afraid of flashing but I don't really know where to start.

I've played around with the BlueIris demo but I would rather have stuff "built-in" than setting up another external PC that will be running alongside 24/7

Thank you for any advice I look forward to being a part of the community!

Cheers,
Bob

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask, if not I apologize in advance.

I have slightly older but still capable hardware with an assortment of cameras (all PoE):

Lorex NR900X NVR - 8 port 4k/30 capable
LNE8950AB 4k/15 dome
LNB8973B 4k/15 bullet
LNB9232 4k/30 bullet
LNE9252B 4k/30 dome

I'm not a huge fan of the stock interface and although it "works" it's a struggle and I feel like I'm missing some pretty basic features like tracking. What are my options here? I'm fairly good with electronics so I'm not afraid of flashing but I don't really know where to start.

I've played around with the BlueIris demo but I would rather have stuff "built-in" than setting up another external PC that will be running alongside 24/7

Thank you for any advice I look forward to being a part of the community!

Cheers,
Bob
Welcome @bobross

looks like a Dahua OEM NVR and Dahua OEM cameras

1615432167405.png

1615432214094.png

With the current hardware you can see if there is an update to the firmware which makes a functional difference.

Others have reported that they can upgrade some of the Dahua OEM NVRs from Lorex with Dahua OEM firmware, which gives the NVR additional functionality like IVS features - however the NVR still would need cameras that support those features. So, that may not gain you much - unless Lorex has updated their firmware.

What some are doing is running Blue Iris along side the NVR and using the additional functionality of Blue Iris to give you more features than are included in the Lorex Dahua OEM NVRs / Cameras.
( this is probably the route I would go - as this would give you a nice redundant video storage unit also.. )

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the informative reply mat200!

If I have identified the corresponding Dahua camera and NVR where do I begin with flashing? Is there a utility or do I flash my camera straight through the NVR? Will my Lorex camera just accept the Dahua firmware? Is there a way to backup my Lorex firmware?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the informative reply mat200!

If I have identified the corresponding Dahua camera and NVR where do I begin with flashing? Is there a utility or do I flash my camera straight through the NVR? Will my Lorex camera just accept the Dahua firmware? Is there a way to backup my Lorex firmware?

Thanks!
Hi @bobross

If you wish to look at flashing the NVR with Dahua OEM firmare:

I do not have a Lorex NVR so I only know what I have been reading here from other members.

Do a search for "Lorex Dahua NVR firmware" or something similar. ( search is in the upper left )

Before attempting that I would check if Lorex has newer firmware first.

Again, I do not know if the cameras can be upgraded with Dahua OEM firmware as I have not read any stories of success by members here on that topic.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are looking for the interface to improve, the interface within the camera is going to look the same except it will say Dahua - have you been logging into the cameras themselves or setting all the configurations at the NVR level.

You download the firmware file and then go into each unit and manually select the file to use for the update.

Just recognize it could result in a brick of a camera.

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are looking for the interface to improve, the interface within the camera is going to look the same except it will say Dahua - have you been logging into the cameras themselves or setting all the configurations at the NVR level.

You download the firmware file and then go into each unit and manually select the file to use for the update.

Just recognize it could result in a brick of a camera.
I've been doing everything at the NVR level, I have not messed with the cameras on a per camera basis.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - it did for my neighbors Lorex.

1611926899349.png

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - it did for my neighbors Lorex.

Yup, I'm in via web browser. Not sure where to look or how to see these hidden features...? This is before any flashing or after flashing to Dahua OEM firmare they will show?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor didn't flash his Lorex cams, but we had more functionality to set up in regards to IVS and schedules and human AI that the NVR wasn't showing. I do not recall which camera models and NVR he has though, so your may be the same. But the look/feel that you see now is the same way it will look if you flash to Dahua.

Regardless, we always recommend to set up all camera parameters this way versus within in the NVR.

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My neighbor didn't flash his Lorex cams, but we had more functionality to set up in regards to IVS and schedules and human AI that the NVR wasn't showing. I do not recall which camera models and NVR he has though, so your may be the same. But the look/feel that you see now is the same way it will look if you flash to Dahua.
Ok, interesting. Yeah unfortunately I don't see any new features.

Regardless, we always recommend to set up all camera parameters this way versus within in the NVR.
What is the reasoning behind this? Also what setting takes priority? If I set something up in the NVR but then go change a setting directly into the camera does the camera setting take priority or the NVR setting?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera takes priority and many times even though they are matching brands of NVR and cameras, sometimes there are funny things that happen that cause it not to be accepted. Heck sometimes saving it in the camera itself takes saving 3 times before it holds!