Can I plug my NVR directly into my cable modem?

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. It has 2 ethernet ports on it. 1 port is occupied by my Google Smart Mesh Wifi base station. My entire home and all devices run very well on this wireless mesh network.

I recently purchased NVR5216-16P-EI / NVR16CH-16P-2AI from EmpireTech. I'm trying to understand the appropriate way to implement this on my network. Should I plug it directly into the 2nd open port on the modem? Do I need to purchase a router, or some other piece of hardware to go in between?

Also, I've read about how it can be smart from a security standpoint to "segment" a network by using VLANs. Because my entire home network is on my wireless network and I'm setting up my NVR outside of that WLAN, am I accomplishing the same thing?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm gonna let one of the networking gurus answer in more depth but , yes you could plug the LAN side of your NVR into that modem. I'm assuming that a separate LAN addressing scheme is possible by the ARRIS on the two ports?

You may though attach a switch to it to allow you to more flexibility

@TonyR ?

Reaction score
@bigredfish Thank you for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, my modem is simply a modem(not a modem/router), so I believe it will only deliver a raw, unmanaged WAN connection to the NVR. I'm assuming I will need to add a router to achieve proper configuration, but I'm curious if my NVR has router functionality built into it that makes it safe to connect directly? :idk:

Definitely interested to hear what the networking gurus have to say.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since that's a POE NVR the cams will be assigned private IP's by the NVR and be on a subnet separate from your LAN and isolates the cams from the Internet, much like a firewall.

The Arris SB8200 does not provide router functions.

EDIT you could connect a wireless router to the Arris such as from Asus or Netgear with built-in VPN functionality with OpenVPN as an example.
The modem would go to the router's WAN port and NVR would go to one of the router's LAN ports.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna let one of the networking gurus answer in more depth but ,

@TonyR ?
I sure ain't no guru...I know what I need to know to do what I gotta do and if I don't I won't pretend like I do just to hear myself talk....I got no problem saying "I don't know but maybe I can find out." :cool:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
See that’s why I call in the Big Guns.

I wrongly assumed it might be a modem/router combo. If not then Tony got you the right answer :cool: