Can I power an extra IR illuminator from my DS-2CD2342WD-I?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I need a little extra IR light. I'm curious if my POE DS-2CD2342WD-I can additionally supply power to another illuminator. Would be real handy if I didn't have to run separate power. Thanks

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @ramleaf... I appreciate the suggestion. Can you suggest a good illuminator from Amazon as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can't take 12v from the camera to power an external illuminator, but you can use one of this https://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Passive-Injector-Splitter-Connector/dp/B00NRHNPUA
With that injector you can connect a 12v power supply for the illuminator, the camera will remain using POE from your switch or NVR.
That is quite dangerous sending 2 separate voltages down the same line, are you sure your PoE is not using the same pair as 12v? Because spec says it can use 2 different pairs depending.. and not going to work on anything of distance..

Instead use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5U4OFA/

combined with a Y cable and power your camera and IR off 12vDC directly while feeding the 48vDC PoE over the distance.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is quite dangerous sending 2 separate voltages down the same line, are you sure your PoE is not using the same pair as 12v? Because spec says it can use 2 different pairs depending.. and not going to work on anything of distance..
I don't know what pairs uses for POE and for the DC connector, but don't you think if it's using the same pairs my camera would already be dead?

And yes, it's not good for long cable runs, mine is working fine with a 65ft cable.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What are these splitters usually used for... Powering extra illuminators, or something else?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
PoE splitters are usually used to power Non-PoE devices (like IP cameras that don't have PoE) that also require a network connection.

I was using an active splitter and Y cable like Nayr recommended, to power a camera and external microphone for about a year, then when the active splitter began failing I switched to using a passive injector/splitter with a 12 volt power supply, and now I feed 48 volts + data down 2 pairs and 12 volts down the other 2 pairs. I don't know what would be dangerous about it, as long as you hook them up intelligently (i.e. disconnect both ends of the network cable, add the passive injector/splitter, then reconnect both ends). Yes, there is some voltage drop using thin wire like network cable, but if it is a fairly short distance then the voltage drop isn't bad at all.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @bp2008... so using it for an additional illuminator would work okay it seems. That'll make it easy to get some extra light at night.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mode A has two alternate configurations (MDI and MDI-X), using the same pairs but with different polarities. In mode A, pins 1 and 2 (pair #2 in T568B wiring) form one side of the 48 V DC, and pins 3 and 6 (pair #3 in T568B) form the other side.

In mode B, pins 4–5 (pair #1 in both T568A and T568B) form one side of the DC supply and pins 7–8 (pair #4 in both T568A and T568B) provide the return; these are the "spare" pairs in 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX. Mode B, therefore, requires a 4-pair cable.

The PSE (power sourcing equipment), not the PD (powered device), decides whether power mode A or B shall be used. PDs that implement only Mode A or Mode B are disallowed by the standard.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Powering_devices

48v PoE can use Pins: 1,2,3,6 or 4,5,7,8.. depending on what mode your PoE injector is using, it will be using the same wires as your passive 12v injector.. you just got lucky @bp2008, I would not be reccomending anyone do what you did.. best case it does work, if your lucky & its not compatible it wont work at all, worst case you fry something by plugging a 12v device into a 48v output.

Those icreatin 48v PoE to 12v splitters were total junk, the one I linked I have tested thoroughly and it does not get that hot even under rated loadings; unlike the iCreatin that melted down after 3 weeks of service @ 3/4 load... If there active splitters were any indication of quality I'd run from the passive ones too.. unfortunately the USG one appears to be out of Amazon's stocks at this time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Powering_devices

48v PoE can use Pins: 1,2,3,6 or 4,5,7,8.. depending on what mode your PoE injector is using, it will be using the same wires as your passive 12v injector.. you just got lucky @bp2008, I would not be reccomending anyone do what you did.. best case it does work, if your lucky & its not compatible it wont work at all, worst case you fry something by plugging a 12v device into a 48v output.
The RJ45 male ends on passive PoE splitters and injectors do not have wires going to pins 4,5,7,8. As far as the active 802.3af PoE injector and camera are concerned, you gave it a gimpy network cable that only has pins 1,2,3,6.

There is no way you accidentally put the wrong voltage on the wrong pins unless the passive splitter is defective and has some wires shorted inside. And if that happens, you're likely going to fry something on one or both ends whether you try to use 802.3af standard PoE too or not. (note: this is only true if you follow my advice and disconnect both ends of the network cable, then attach the passive PoE injector and splitter -- to be safe, you should have both the injector and splitter on the network cable before you attach any power sources to the cable)

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Okay, I purchased this POE Splitter in hopes of using it to power a separate IR illuminator near one of my cameras.

My question is... should I be able to take the POE network wire that currently powers the camera and plug it into this splitter and then connect the splitter power connector to the IR illuminator and then run an ethernet cable from the splitter to the camera and power both? Thanks

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@ramleaf... Thanks, here's the correct link.
I wouldn't even try that. @nayr already told you that it is not a good idea, and I agree with him.

You might try, without knowing what you are doing, in this case you might not just break this "passive injector/splitter", you might actually mess up the camera and POE switch/NVRs.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could use a end-span device. That should function like normal but taps into the POE lines and can convert to 12 volts.
i assume it would only need on the source side supply enough current to drive both camera and 12 volt connected device.

this is an example on aliexpress: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Isolated-DC12V-1-5-2A-15-4W-POE-Optical-Splitter-poe-injector-for-security-application/32526684792.html?spm=2114.010208.8.24.HZaY8e

Or on for outside: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/outdoor-outside-Security-application-non-isolated-DC12V-1-5-2A-15-4W-waterproof-rain-proof-POE/32598297857.html?scm=1007.13438.37934.0&pvid=88e7b7fb-c752-4808-a1f9-62843693d8d1&tpp=1

i think about using those to feed a 12 volt sensor from POE midspan so i need one sort cabling, but the alarm pair i need to pull next to the ethernet than, or take enough thick 4 wire cable and hook this direct into the mid span.
would save me a power supply sort of, but decent 12 volt supply might be cheaper if i do like 6 sensors. (1 -2 watt each perhaps)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @Securame... I'll be the first to admit that I'm unsure how to do what I'm wanting to do. I'm asking in the forum to get help, I haven't connected anything yet. I appreciate your advice and the others because many on here know MUCH more than I do.

Perhaps it's just not possible for me to do what I want. To try to be as clear as possible... I want to use the ethernet cable that is connected to my POE switch to provide power to both my Hikvision camera and external IR illuminator. I don't have a receptacle anywhere near this camera location. Thanks

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@ramleaf... Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking that the the ethernet cable would take the power directly from the POE switch and then I would use one splitter at the end to provide power to both devices.

Your drawing shows me that I will use the other splitter (female) that came in the package to inject power. So the POE switch AND the 12v DC power supply are both supplying power that travels via the ethernet cable? If so, I'll need to buy a 12v DC power supply.

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ramleaf... Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking that the the ethernet cable would take the power directly from the POE switch and then I would use one splitter at the end to provide power to both devices.

Your drawing shows me that I will use the other splitter (female) that came in the package to inject power. So the POE switch AND the 12v DC power supply are both supplying power that travels via the ethernet cable? If so, I'll need to buy a 12v DC power supply.
Exactly, POE and 12v travels in the same UTP cable. I think this was the idea of your original post, so you did not have to run another cable for the IR illuminator.
And yes, you will need a 12v power supply. Be sure to check how many amps needs the illuminator.