Can I run my camera's without a NVR unit?

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In other words, can I connect my camera's directly to my internet just for live view without using my DS-7608NI-12-8P unit"

Thanks!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Why provide the model of what your do not wish to use (NVR), but not the model of what you are trying to connect in the most un-secure method possible (camera)?

Regardless.... allowing ANY network, or network devices, to directly connect to the Internet is bad!! mmmkay?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An IP camera can be viewed live on a PC in the same LAN and subnet as the cam by running VLC media player on the PC, no Internet needed (and not desirable to allow the cams Internet access anyway).

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I'm trying to do is get rid of my NVR unit and have access to the camera's on my iPhone. Also, is there a way to do this securely?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
What I'm trying to do is get rid of my NVR unit and have access to the camera's on my iPhone. Also, is there a way to do this securely?
As @TonyR mentioned:
An IP camera can be viewed live on a PC in the same LAN and subnet as the cam by running VLC media player on the PC, no Internet needed (and not desirable to allow the cams Internet access anyway).

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not knowledgeable in this area, so if I disconnected the 5 camera's which are currently connected to the NVR unit into a switcher and than connect the switcher to my router, will that work? Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that would work, but you will find that it probably is a smoother operation going thru the NVR.

You will find that putting cameras on your router will open you up to being hacked. And they are not hacking to see your video feed - they could care less about that. They use your internet for DDoS attacks and to get into your system to steal your bank account info. We have a couple of threads just this week where people are seeing connections or attempted connections due to this.

Further, you will start to notice things slowing down. Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi cameras or hard-wired) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

We strongly suggest you do not run the cameras thru the routers....

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wittaj, thank you for your elaborate info. I appreciate it and it makes sense. Say someone did connect their camera's to a router, is there a way to make it as hack-proof as possible?