Can I run two POE switches to an NVR?

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to connect an NVR to my TV and to make wiring easier I'd like to run my shop cameras to one switch and my house cameras to another switch. Then only bring two wires (one from each switch) into the house to the NVR. Can I do this? If so, will any NVR work or does it need a specific feature?

Thank you

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly then yes, that can absolutely work. At your NVR you will need a switch, two ports will be going to the POE switches that have your cameras, and one port to the NVR (and possibly one port to your home network/LAN/WAN if you want remote viewing).

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only thing I can think to consider is that the bandwidth of the cameras connected to the remote POE switch will be aggregated into the port(s) on the NVR. Just make certain your not sending more bandwidth than that port can handle. If it's Gige then your likely to be fine for several cameras.

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another tip...If your model has built-in POE (for example, a 8 channel with 8 POE), you will also have to change the connection method from Plug and play to Manual in Camera->Edit. This is due to being unable to delete POE channels, so you have to Edit them
Otherwise you'll just get an error 'no more IP cameras allowed' if you try to add external POE cameras to an unit that is full of built-in POE channels ....

IF you have more than a few cameras, you definitely want the uplink port on those POE switches to be Gigabit

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another tip...If your model has built-in POE (for example, a 8 channel with 8 POE), you will also have to change the connection method from Plug and play to Manual in Camera->Edit. This is due to being unable to delete POE channels, so you have to Edit them
Otherwise you'll just get an error 'no more IP cameras allowed' if you try to add external POE cameras to an unit that is full of built-in POE channels ....

IF you have more than a few cameras, you definitely want the uplink port on those POE switches to be Gigabit
Thanks for the info...
I want to run 10 of the Dahua Ultra 2MP Starlights
IPC-HFW8231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology