Can I use a Wifi camera as a stand alone device?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can I take a Dahua (or other non-poe ac powered ) WiFi camera, add an SD card just plug it into an outlet somewhere and be able to log into it to config and leave it as a stand alone unit to record 24/7?

I want to put a camera outside on our subdivision's front entrance just to record vehicles or people coming in. A stand alone camera basically out of convenient reach that plugs into an AC outlet and records to an SD card with motion or a 24/7 loop is sufficient for the need. If an issue arises they would just get a ladder and pull the camera and SD card.
So I am curious if I can even use one of these cameras this way...or even be able to configure it or view the contents of the SD card via WiFi if standing under it with a laptop.
The typical WiFi concerns would not be a problem if recording to SD card as it would only be needed for occasional connection for settings and viewing if possible.
The board has basically no budget for this and no interest in a proper setup with NVR etc. and complications and cost of the remote setup so I am looking for a better than nothing solution here.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can I take a Dahua (or other non-poe ac powered ) WiFi camera, add an SD card just plug it into an outlet somewhere and be able to log into it to config and leave it as a stand alone unit to record 24/7?
Yes.
So I am curious if I can even use one of these cameras this way...or even be able to configure it or view the contents of the SD card via WiFi if standing under it with a laptop.
I have configured an IPM-721 Amcrest (a re-branded Dahua) that has both wireless and Ethernet to do what you are asking about. The only difference is you are asking to be able to come close to it later with a laptop, log in wirelessly, access the cam, download the contents of the SD card and possibly erase it. I still say "Yes".

Here's why: You could use one of the 5 volt/USB powered travel wireless routers like the TP-LINK TL-WR802N and power with laptop's USB port or plug it in to a Power Bank.

At home, log into the TP-LINK with your laptop via Ethernet, configure the TP-LINK as 'Access Point', disable DHCP, give it a static IP (such as 192.168.0.1), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS.
Change its wireless SSID to something easy like 'nbstl68', with a WPA2 password like 'my10digits'.
Unplug the Ethernet from TP-LINK and plug into camera.
Log into the camera with your laptop via Ethernet; some wireless cams have 1 IP for both LAN and WLAN, the Amcrest IPM-721 has 2 IP's, 1 for the LAN and 1 for the WLAN. Either way, configure both the wired and wireless with 2 different static IP's in the same subnet as the TP-LINK (such as 192.168.0.2 wired and 192.168.0.3 for wireless), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS.
While logged into the camera via Ethernet, and after you have configured the motion detection, where to save video or snapshots, etc., now configure it to use the wireless, scan for the SSID of the TP-LINK, enter password, save it.
After reply of successful save, unplug Ethernet cable from cam, unplug power from cam for 10 seconds then plug power back in.
While you're waiting for a full minute, configure you laptop's wireless LAN with a static IP (such as 192.168.0.4), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS.
On laptop, scan for wireless SSID of the TP-LINK and have it connect.
When connected, log into cam by inputting IP of the cam's wireless into your laptop's browser, its webGUI should come up.
When you get the TP-LINK into range of the cam, the cam should automatically log onto the SSID of the TP-LINK, it may take a few seconds, maybe as much as 30.

I have used an old iPhone4, the TP-LINK access point and an iPad to fashion a make-do hitch cam on my F-250 when I had a 28 foot camping trailer. The iPhone was on a gooseneck with suction cup on the tailgate looking down at the hitch, the 'ipCam' app by SKJM on the iPhone, and the TP-LINK and iPad in the cab of the truck. I would launch the iPhone's 'ipCam' app, get onto the TP-LINK's wireless then look for its IP with Safari on the iPad and see the hitch perfectly! The iPhone, TP-LINK and iPad were configured, respectfully, as the IP camera, TP-LINK and laptop above, each with unique static IP's in the same subnet.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.